Monday, December 17, 2007

Trouble in the Driveway

We really are not prepared for winter snow when it comes to clearing the driveway and sidewalks. All we have is a snow shovel. And only Bob knows how to make it work. With the foot of snow we received on top of the other six to eight inches, which were never cleared away, we're having difficulty getting in and out of the driveway. I had to go into the office today to finish a project that had to be in the mail today. While I was getting ready, I noticed a car driving in our driveway, so I looked out the window to see who would be pulling in our driveway at 6:00 in the morning. It was Bob, driving back and forth over the snow with my car (using 4-wheel drive) so I would have a path to get out and so he could get out with his truck later in the morning (the truck doesn't have 4-wheel drive). He parked my car back in the garage and I didn't have any trouble getting out of the driveway onto the main road. I wasn't too happy though when I reached the end of the driveway the snow plow went by and threw snow all over my car.

I finished my project at work early in the afternoon and decided that I would call my doctor to see if she could get me in. With the roads still covered in snow and still snowing I thought there might be a chance of filling a cancellation slot. And I did. When I was at Rachael's around Thanksgiving time, my right jaw was hurting and it was difficult to open my mouth and especially difficult to chew food. But I managed to eat more than I should have. Rachael told me it was probably TMJ and just to take some Motrin and it should help. With my symptoms not improving and my ear hurting now too, I decided I should go to my doctor to find out what was really wrong. She looked in both ears, pushed around on my sore jaw asking me if it hurt and told me I had TMJ and to take Motrin. I asked her about my hurting ear and she said it was all part of the TMJ.

I stopped at a store on the way home to pick-up some Christmas paper and by the time I was on my way home it was dark and snowing pretty heavy. It's difficult to know just where the driveway is when you live in the country and the snow banks on the side of the road are a couple feet high. I found the entrance to the drive-way and pulled in and stopped immediately. Bob's truck was stuck in the snow. I had to get out and walk through all that snow to get to the house. He was late for a meeting and had been waiting for me to get home so he could use my car. He said we'll figure out how to get the truck out of the driveway tomorrow. Maybe we should check out snow-blowers tomorrow too!

8 comments:

Rachael said...

Did you think I didn't know what I was talking about when I told you it was TMJ and take Motrin? Did your doctor also tell you not to chew on the side that hurts? :)

I think you need a snow-blower for sure. Ideally, before we come there, although we do have four wheel drive, thankfully. When I told Ben today that we were going to get Daddy one for Christmas, he was SO excited. He said that's what HE wants for Christmas. I think I'll put Derrick and Ben's names both on the gift tag and kill two birds with one stone! :)

Tina in CT said...

Better yet, find someone to plow your driveway when it snows. That way, you only will have to clear the walk and steps.

Sorry to hear about the TMJ. I've heard it was painful. Hope the Motrin helps.

Lori said...

I cant believe you dont have a 4 wheel drive truck. You live in the snowbelt.
Todd likes to get Rach's medical opinion a lot, and then he still goes to his doctor and pays for the same advice Rachael already gave him. So after I had my U/S and found out we were having a boy, Todd asked Rachael if she was sure, and Rach told him maybe we slould get a second opinion from his doctor, just to be sure.

Cecelia said...

Rachael, of course I think you know what you are talking about but when it didn't get better and my ear started hurting too, I thought something else might be wrong. No, she did not tell me to not chew on that side.

Cecelia said...

Tina, Having someone else come and plow sounds like the best option, but Bob doesn't like how it messes up the lawn and throws the gravel into the yard. He'd rather shovel or blow it. And I don't really care how he gets the snow out of the driveway just as long as I don't have to do it.

Cecelia said...

Lori, When we bought our truck we lived in California. We had no need for 4-wheel drive. Our next truck will definately have 4-wheel drive. Bob also wants to increase the size to a 3/4 ton.

Shannon said...

Mom, you are so spoiled! I can't believe you have lived here for 3 winters now, and you just decided to get a snow blower.

Tina in CT said...

Now that you have the snow blower, it will also do the walkway. Since you have to load firewood into your basement, I'm sure you have paths that need to be cleared. What it all boils down to is that you don't have to do it.

I don't mind doing the deck and two sets of stairs and an area for my dog but I draw the line on the driveway. I did it for a year or so and then hired someone to plow.

California to the snow belt - what a contrast.