Sunday, December 16, 2007

Getting Ready for Company

It's still snowing. And the forecast is for lake affect snow to last through the night. So far we have received only nine inches since last night. A lot less than what had been predicted. The day was perfect for both Bob and I to work on last minute Christmas projects. Bob finished stacking all the wood in the basement. We then took inventory of our seating capacity and came up six chairs short. So Bob's job was to locate six chairs and make them presentable for use in the house when our kids arrive. It didn't take him long, because he came back in the house with wooden chairs that Shannon had picked-up this past summer at a yard sale and was storing in our garage. He suggested that he just clean them up a little and they would be fine. They were way too rustic for me, so I suggested he paint them white. I won. He lightly sanded the chairs and then painted all six chairs white. They look really nice and now all I have to do is try to figure out where to put another dining room table (we're using a drop-leaf table from the family room) and then put the newly painted chairs around it. If I have time, I might make cushions for the chairs.


Bob moved the dining room table and chairs over against the wall so he could have enough room to paint the chairs.


While Bob was busy with his painting project, I rummaged through my fabric containers and found some fabric to make sleeping bags and pillows for stuffed animals. I had asked Rachael what she thought her children would like, she suggested the sleeping bags, pillows and blankets because the kids seem to enjoy playing together using towels, sweaters, etc. to make beds for all their stuffed animals. I really enjoyed making this project. I will have to stop at the fabric store tomorrow on my way home from work to pick-up a few more pieces of fabric for a few more bags and pillows. I'm going to work on crocheting a blanket for them tonight. If it takes too long, I'm going to scrap that idea and go to flannel blankets.



Here are the five finished sleeping bags and matching pillows.




Here's a close-up picture.

5 comments:

Lori said...

Looks like your just about ready for a house full of guests. Are you sure you can handle it?
The sleeping bags look really cute.

Shannon said...

Be sure and tell Bob how thankful I am that he took care of those chairs for me. :0), They look much better.

The sleeping bag/pillow idea is so cute. I know they are for stuffed animals, but it makes me think of when you made something similar, only it was for real people.
***
I remember when me and Lori were little and we only had 1 sleeping bag so, you made a Strawberry shortcake blanket for one of us to use at a birthday party/sleep over. That was the time we brought the Chicken Pox home. What ever happened that blanket?

Tina in CT said...

I'm still working on the first American Girl doll dress (and did some shoveling) and look what you've accomplished! It puts me to shame.

The stuffed animal/doll sleeping bags and pillows are just adorable. The kids will love them even more because Grandma made them.

Rachael said...

They're perfect. The kids will love them.

What if you made little drawstring bags for the sleeping bag and pillow to fold up into? That would be too cute, but probably a lot of work. The crocheted blankets are a cute idea too.

The kids will love it!

CATHY said...

The chairs look great. I remember them in your garage. He did a nice job. I have some things that need to be refinished...hmmm....I wonder how much it would cost to have them sent to NY? Maybe I will just bring them when I visit again.
Cathy