Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas Shopping and the New Pizzelle Press

I finished my Christmas shopping this evening!!! And I bought a present for me, too!

Last week when I was telling the ladies at the office about my new grandson it came into the conversation about Lori's husband being Italian. I was elaborating about all the cookies, fudge, and other goodies I wanted to make for Christmas before my children and grandchildren arrive. One of the ladies asked me if I was going to make pizzelles. I had no idea what pizzelles were. She told me it was an Italian cookie that she always makes for her family every Christmas (she is Italian). The next day, she brought me a box of homemade pizzelles to try. They were really good. I kept snacking on them throughout the day, but I did manage to take some home for Bob to try. He tried them and said they were good. We put the leftover pizzelle cookies away for another day. Well, another day came and I was looking all over the kitchen for the pizzelle cookies. Bob had to confess that he had finished them off. So, I didn't think it would be too hard to convince him to let me buy a pizzelle press. We looked at several stores before we found one. And I had to try making them as soon as I got home. It was really easy and they are soooo good!!
Me and my new pizzelle press.
Sometimes the pizzelles didn't come out perfectly round,
so I trimmed them with scissors.
Here are the finished pizzelles.
A close-up of the pizzelles.

6 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I love them - vanilla, chocolate or the traditional anise.

I want to know your secret to keeping the pounds off with all the desserts that are made in your house. You could make a fortune marketing it.

You must be feeling better!!!

Cecelia said...

Tina, I think I like the anise ones my friend made the best. I'm going to pick-up this flavoring next time I'm at the grocery store. But the vanilla flavoring ones are good too. I struggle with my weight all the time. If I'm under lots of stress I loose control and it's not a pretty picture. Just look at the picture of me,(Bob and Natalie) at her wedding reception that is on the side of my blog page. I was very chubby! And chubby on me is not cute!!After the wedding, I lost weight and now I'm trying not to go crazy with all the goodies we have around during the holidays. And, yes I'm feeling much better.

Lori said...

They look yummy, cant wait to try them. I don't know about the anise flavored ones though, Im not much of a licorice fan. Isn't anise a licorice (sp?) flavor?

Shannon said...

Mom, you should have told Tina the secret...
Dosen't Bob go walking with you every day about 3 miles or so? And, if it is too cold you do the treadmill?

I love those kinds of cookies.

Have you got as much snow as we have yet? It just keeps coming.

Tina in CT said...

Shannon: You shared your mom's secret. Thanks

We got about 4 inches of wet snow and sleet during the night and it's still sleeting here and will be all day and evening.

I'm procrastinating and have to cut out an American Girl doll dress and sew today.

Rachael said...

They look really good (and pretty), Mom. Can't wait to try some.

I'm jealous you're done with your Christmas shopping too.