Monday, December 24, 2007

The Night Before Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas,
when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring,
not even a mouse . . .

That's just the way it is here tonight. No little children running around and nothing out of place. Everything is in place and we are waiting for the arrival of our first Christmas celebration which begins tomorrow at noon when five little children arrive with their parents. My cousin Tony and his wife, Donna, will also be coming over. And we will all enjoy Tony's rendition of "Twas the Night Before Christmas".

I love Christmas and I have just been going through my pictures of Christmases past. So many cute pictures that bring back memories of when the children were little and the excitement of watching them open their presents knowing that they would love whatever they received.

Can you believe I picked this tree out as the perfect tree back in 1974?

Here is that tree decorated. Doesn't look much better does it? Rachael, in the picture, is two years old. I hung candy canes on the tree too to help with my limited amount of ornaments. Both Rachael and Ryan loved eating the candy canes, and by the time the tree was taken down, the only candy canes still on the tree were up at the top above stretched arm height of a two year old.

Lori, Rachael, and Ryan look like they are dreaming of a white Christmas. We lived in Illinois in 1985 and it is very possible that we did have a white Christmas. I can't remember.


This is little Natalie at age one. Once she opened this present she wasn't interested in anymore. I don't even know what this toy is called. It has balls inside a clear ball that pop around when it is pushed on the floor.


Francie doesn't seem to be having any trouble opening her present at age two 1/2. Lori is keeping an eye on the situation.

In 1984 there was an ice storm in Oklahoma City where we were living. Ryan didn't waste any time learning how to ice skate. He borrowed my ice skates and put several pairs of socks on so the skates would fit and began skating on the street in front of our home. It made for a memorable Christmas day.

Shannon was surprised to see that Santa had brought just want she wanted.


Ryan (4), Shannon (2), and Rachael (5) ready for Christmas and the arrival of Santa.

Shannon (age 4) is ready to start opening presents. Once again, I can't believe this Christmas tree. What was I thinking when I picked it out?


As the years went by, I think I improved on picking out Christmas trees. Lori (14) and Natalie (10) are putting the lights on the tree. 1991



Natalie (9) and Francie (10) are pretty excited about their new outfits they just got for Christmas. 1990

Our first Christmas together. We met in California at Thanksgiving while I was visiting Rachael and Derrick. At Christmas Bob flew out to Texas to spend Christmas with me and to meet all my children. He was such a help to me. I was busy working and picking kids up at the airport and trying to do the shopping and cooking. He came and did most of the grocery shopping and then did most of the cooking and baking. He was so thoughtful about the gifts he gave to each of us. And to top it off, he ordered firewood and had it delivered so we could use the fireplace during the holidays and there was enough to last through the winter too.This is who Bob met when he came to celebrate Christmas in Texas. Francie and Natalie were in the eighth and seventh grades and I was home schooling them. Lori was attending college in the Dallas/Fort Worth area (about five hours from home). She is holding my little poodle named Cami. Rachael and Derrick lived in California where Rachael was attending medical school. They brought their two cats with them and picked-up Shannon in Arizona on their way. Ryan and Lisa and "little" Ryan flew in from New York. Bob must have enjoyed all the hustle and bustle of the season with the family because we were married the following June.

Merry Christmas to all and may this year be filled with memories that will make you smile.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh, such memories.

As far as Bob? He had no suprises comming after that visit. Okay, so I'll give him a few, but I think it is safe to say, he knew what he was getting into. LOL

I definately think you're tree picking technique has improved over the years. That first tree looked as pathetic as Charlie Brown's Tree before he added the love blanket.

I have such a hard time telling Rachael and Lori apart when I see them in old pictures.

I'm off to play Santa now...
MERRY CHRISTMAS! See you tommorow.

Tina in CT said...

What a great blog entry with the family history and pictures.

Bob and you - must have been love at first sight. How did you meet in CA when you were visiting Rachel?

Have a wonderful holiday with Bob and the children and their families as they start arriving.

Our Christmas here in Souther New England is white.

Rachael said...

Mom, you have gotten quite a bit better with picking out your trees!

Whatever happened to those Mr. & Mrs. Santa mice?

Natalie said...

mom, is that first picture really you? because if the quality wasnt a dead give away of the era, I would swear it was shannon. I have never seen that picture, you look really cute.