Monday, January 28, 2008

Two Down Two to Go

I have two bedrooms put back together and Bob should finish the last bedroom tonight. So tomorrow evening when I get home, I'll have something to do.
This is the little girl's room. I'm using my crocheted bedspread for the first time since I purchased it last fall at an antique store in Rochester. When I purchased it, I thought it would fit on a larger bed, but it's only a twin size bedspread. The little pink dress behind the bed is one that I wore when I was a baby.
The doll quilt on the table was handmade for me by my aunt. The two little bears were made by Natalie when she was in the eighth grade. She crocheted the sweaters too. When she wanted to buy the pattern, I told her it was way too hard for her to try and make. I wouldn't even attempt it. But I gave in under the pressure of "please". She made at least three or four all by herself. The little white chairs I rescued from the dumpster at the church in California. They were throwing all the old Sabbath School chairs away because they had just purchased new plastic chairs. We glued the chairs together and painted them and the grandchildren have spent hours playing house with this "kitchen table and chairs". Sometimes when I need more chairs than will fit around my dining room table, I bring this table and chairs downstairs to the kitchen and let the children eat at their own little table. The table is an end-table I bought at an auction and painted.


I'm using an old treadle sewing machine cabinet as a night stand. It still has the sewing machine in it. Several years ago, Bob bought Francie the lamp you see, but I liked it so much I wouldn't let him give it to her. He had to buy something else for her for Christmas.

This is a little doll bed the girls play with with their dolls and stuffed animals. When I lived in California, I purchased it at an auction and Bob painted it for me and I used it as a doggie bed for my little poodle, Pooxie. She looked so cute in her little bed. We had it in our bedroom next to our bed and she knew when it was time to go and get in her little bed. I sure miss my little friend.

This next room should only have one bed, but we had a twin and a double bed, and we use all the beds we have plus sleeping bags when all the kids come to visit. I guess I call this the boy's room because Matt and Ryan always stay in this room.

I hung some old fashioned children's underwear on an old peg clothes hanger on the wall . I was so excited when I found these old children's underwear, but I just had them folded in a box that I have hauled from house to house to house and across many states. I'm sure Bob is glad I finally figured out something to do with them.

These are the only kittens Bob will allow in the house. I used these last summer for a children's program, and now I get to store them until the next summer. I remember when we were building a house in California and Natalie was in the ninth grade and she was visiting Rachael and Derrick and their cat had kittens. All of the kittens had been given away except for two little boys. She called asking if she could have both of them. I told her to talk to Bob. I knew he wouldn't let her have them, but I didn't want to be the bad guy. So I handed the phone to Bob and watched and listened as they talked. I could only hear his side of the conversation, but I pretty much knew what she was saying. He said, "O.K." And I said, "What?" I couldn't believe what I had just heard. Not just one cat, but he was letting her have two! And we were living in a travel trailer while our house was being built. She named them Hunter and Wyatt and they were the sweetest cats. Wyatt would follow Bob around in the garden like a little puppy dog.
Well I could go on and on about my house and tell you stories about when my children were growing up, but I think I'll stop and get some sleep and hopefully have something more interesting to blog about tomorrow.

8 comments:

Lori said...

Looks great. I miss Pooxie, you should get another poodle. Maybe well have to get you one as a gift, then Bob can't say no.

Tina in CT said...

I agree with Natalie.

My little Dachshund, Streusel, is such a love and a wonderful companion. As I type at the computer, she is curled up in the down throw on the couch here in my den. I used to always have my needlepoint pillows neatly arranged on the couch. Now it has a sheet over it so my dog can sleep on it next to me or while I'm on the computer.

The girls' and boys' rooms are just so sweet and I love all your antique touches. Love the sloped ceilings and the brick wall.

Tina in CT said...

I meant to say that I agreed with Lori.

CATHY said...

Momma, your always so busy. How come I didn't inherit any of your energy? Everything looks so cozy. You guys always do such a great job. I really think I am going to start praying you move back to Cali so you can help me with my bathroom. It is still not done.

Francie said...

So cute! I didn't know Bob bought that lamp for me. I guess you've put it to good use, and it looks really cute there too.

Rachael said...

It looks great mom. You didn't give me credit for the cross stictch pillow I made in 8th grade on Pooxie's little bed though! :) Pooxie was a good little dog.

Natalie said...

Can you send Bob this way when he's all finished, we have some things we cant seem to find time for. Since he has so much time that is...:) Looks great. Are you looking forward to your birthday?

Julie said...

Your house looks great. It is so clean and homey looking. I can see why your kids love to come home for visits. I agree with Natalie, you and Bob need to come for a visit. Adam and Natalie could use his help and I would sure like a piece of one of his pies.