Thursday, January 17, 2008

We Played Musical Office Furniture This Week!

It has been an exciting and fun week at work. For the past two years we have been remodeling the office, which included painting, new carpet, and new furniture. There were major issues with the installation of the carpet. The new carpet in the lobby and hallways had to be taken up and replaced a second time. But it's finally in and looks great. New furniture was ordered for the conference room, lobby, and executive offices and was delivered this week. To get ready for our new furniture, a large dumpster was ordered so we could throw all the old chairs, desks, file cabinets, couches, mirrors, etc. We all went to work in jeans and took most of one day to haul all the old stuff to the dumpster. Before we started throwing we all had a chance to replace what we had in our office with the discarded furniture that was headed for the dumpster. I had an old metal desk that had received a new wood top make-over several years ago, and I was actually quite happy with it. My boss was encouraging me to take his old desk and credenza that was headed to the dumpster graveyard. I didn't know what to do. I asked my friend, Barb, and she told me not to do it. I asked my other friend, Cil, and she thought I should probably do it. Still not knowing what to do, and the desk headed down the hall to the exit door on two piano dollies, I finally called out, "O.K., I'll take the desk." So now I had to empty out my desk so they could take my desk to the dumpster and then bring my "new to me" desk in. I had lots of helpers and the job was soon completed.

When I was emptying one of my desk drawers, I found this picture. It's a picture of one of the snakes that Bob had found in our basement last year and I had taken the picture to work to show everyone. I think the whole snake family lived in our basement that winter. Bob would find a snake, catch it, and take it out to the barn. And, then a few days later, he would find another one. So, he would catch it and take it out to the barn. Then he was wondering if the same snake was finding its way back into the basement, so he would take a black permanent marker and make a little X on the back of the head so he would know. Nope, the snakes weren't coming back in. All in all he took out six or seven snakes that were 28-32 inches long, three or four snakes that were 18-24 inches long, and at least 12 baby snakes that were 8-12 inches long. I never found any snakes in the basement when I went to do the laundry. But, then I wasn't looking for them either. They seemed to like coiling up near the furnace and I stayed out of that room. I'm happy to say that we are snake Free!!! this winter.
This is my office with my "new to me" furniture. Although I have a new computer and printer, I won't let them throw my old electric typewriter away. Sometimes it really comes in handy. So I'm hanging on to that. I told the office manager that I need a new chair now. And, to my surprise, he agreed!
Now to the musical office furniture episode:
President's couch was thrown in the dumpster.
Vice-President went out and brought the cushions back in. He thought they would be good for his kids to use when they were watching television.
Vice-President's wife stops by and the cushions are carried back out to the dumpster.
The new furniture is delivered the following day, and the two drivers take the couch and cushions out of the dumpster and put it in their truck along with a couple of chairs.
I took the wooden shelf off my windowsill and threw it in the dumpster.
The associate superintendent for schools pulled it out of the dumpster and put it on her windowsill.
The youth director pulled the folding chairs out of the dumpster.
A part-time worker noticed my new desk and asked what happened to mine.
Today, she and her husband were pulling my desk out of the dumpster along with a file cabinet and two chairs.
This afternoon, the dumpster was picked-up. I wonder if the drivers found any treasurers?

4 comments:

Lori said...

Thats hilarious, all the stuff that went in and out and in the dumpster again.
Why was it hard to choose which desk you wanted? Was it choosing the better desk or deciding if switching desks was worth the trouble?

As for the snakes, ew! Im glad they all found a new home.

Rachael said...

Why didn't you guys just have a "garage" sale?

Natalie said...

thats so funny that everyone found treasures. I was wonering myself while I was reading your story if there was something I could use also for organizing my pottery accessories, like beads and ribbons. But Im like Grandma Annie, I love to save things Ill probably never use.

Shannon said...

Good thing I didn't know about a dumpster full of treasures. ha. I could have thought of a million reasons to haul just one more thing home. I can see Andy now, just rolling his eye as I "imagine" what might have been a good save. hmmph!