Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Inconvenience of Progress

We had two meetings at our house this Sunday. The first one was at 8:00 a.m. and I had to fix breakfast for six elders from our church. The next meeting started at 7:00 p.m. and fortunately, I didn't have to fix any food. Between meetings, Bob fixed the pipe on the wood stove in the basement and finished painting the boy's room. I was pretty excited about the bedroom being finished, and I started putting everything back in it's place only to be redirected in my work, to unload the three bookcases in the last bedroom upstairs that still needs to be painted. Now the entire upstairs is in disarray including my recently perfect master bedroom and the hallway too! I tried to tell Bob that we didn't need to paint the baseboard behind the three bookcases, but he would hear nothing of that. So now everything in the "blue room" has been either relocated to another location or moved to the center of the room and stacked on top of the bed.
I didn't have enough room for all the books on the bed, so I put some of them under the bed. I would just stack them and slide them. I think it will be more difficult to take them out.
The part of the wall that is missing the baseboard use to be an opening into the master bedroom and we closed the wall between the two rooms so we would have two bedrooms, not one bedroom and a sitting room. This is what was behind the bookcases. Bob insisted that it had to be finished too.
Even the hallway is filled with books, tables, lamps, pictures, etc.

5 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Within a few days, the boys' bedroom will be done and you'll have everything put back in place and it'll look so nice.

Shannon said...

Remember when we had our house built in PA and you insisted the stairs had to be COMPLETELY stained/varnished before the carpet runner went down? You thought it would be crasy to only do the edges. You of all people should understand Bob's need to pull the bookshelves out.

Tina in CT said...

I don't know how you and Bob accomplish so much in your house between your jobs and activities. Now I know where Rachel gets it from. She inherited your super mom gene!

I hope it works out for us to meet in March as I'd love it.

Cecelia said...

Tina, I hope we can get together in March too! We'll have to figure out how far apart we are and where to meet.

Lori said...

Im with Shannon, your just as much of a perfectionist as Bob is. Your just complaining because you had to help. I'm sure when its done you'll be glad it was done the right way.