Saturday, January 19, 2008

It's Framed!

Last year, my friend and co-worker Barb, made a beautiful bluebird cross stitch for me. She spent hours working on it at home and everyday at work she would spend her lunch hour cross stitching this picture for me. She usually enters her work at the fair and has been awarded many ribbons. I think this one would win first place.

When she gave it to me, I was so excited. But, I didn't know what I wanted as far as framing it, so I placed it in a drawer until I would have time to make the decision about framing.

Not long ago, I remembered that one of our church members, who's profession is a painter, does framing as a hobby. I took the cross stitch picture to him and asked him to frame it for me. I didn't give him any direction as to what I wanted, I just told him to make it look good and told him I was planning on hanging it in my blue bedroom. This man is amazing. He picked the colors of the matting and he also made the frame. He doesn't just put the frame together, he makes the frame. When I called him to thank him, his wife answered the phone and I began telling her how happy I was with the framing. She called for him, so I could tell him myself how much I liked it. When I asked him how much I owed him, he said whatever I wanted to pay him was fine. He never sets a price, he just leaves the price with the owner of the framing project.

I need my readers help. How much should I pay him?

Once again, I think I'm spoiled!

4 comments:

Lori said...

I guess it would depend on if he's giving you a friends discount, I'm sure if you went to Michael's or hobby lobby you'd pay a lot more than what he would expect. Maybe you should call Michaels and ask what they charge for a double matted wooden framed picture the same size as yours.

Tina in CT said...

Lori's comment is good.

Both the cross stitch and the frame are beautiful and how lovely it will look in your blue bedroom.

What thoughtful friends!

Rachael said...

What about "paying" him with frozen or canned food or syrup that you've made? Or maybe that plus a little money to cover his expenses.

Francie said...

I agree with Rachael... give him some of that yummy grape jam you made and some other stuff with some cash!