Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Busy Sabbath and More!

Today was a three church Sabbath meaning Bob spoke at three churches (kinda). It started at 8:00 a.m. meeting at the Roosevelt Church for a prayer breakfast. The ladies did a great job on preparing and serving a healthy, quick, and easy breakfast.
There was cooked barley with raisins, dates, fresh sliced grapes, and sliced almonds on the side.
Homemade granola with coconut on the side.
Fruit bars, bananas, and orange juice.
Those that met for the prayer breakfast.

Bob preaching at the Roosevelt Church. His sermon was on the Seven Churches in Revelation 2 and 3. Church service starts at 9:30. After the sermon, we headed for the next church.
The Pulaski Church was built in 1903. It takes us about 35 minutes to drive from Roosevelt to Pulaski. We arrived at 11:00 a.m., just in time for the service to begin.


Bob's sermon was on the Seven Churches in Revelation 2 and 3. After we finished singing the closing hymn, one of the elderly ladies of the church spoke up, "Pastor, could we sing that song again before the prayer?" So, we sang the song again.

This is my friend Verna. She always makes the dessert for the potluck. She made pumpkin rolls, one of my favorites. She shared this recipe with me and I attempted to make it and was successful after several telephone calls to Verna and her step-by-step instructions. The children really enjoyed it for one of our Christmas dinner desserts.

The potluck was fabulous!! And they sent a care package of lasagna, scalloped potatoes, and cole slaw for us to enjoy during the week. (my lunch)
We met in the afternoon at a home for our third church meeting. There are only three members at this little church and they are elderly and so we usually just go to their house once a month to have church with them.
Although the fourth Sabbath is really busy, we always receive a blessing from meeting with these precious people.
When we arrived at home, it was after sundown, so I went upstairs to change my clothes and check on the family blogs. While I was reading Lori's new blog, my eyes started burning, and smoke was filling the room. I knew that Bob had gone to the basement to check on the wood stove, but I wasn't sure why there was so much smoke, but I just kept on reading the blog. Then the telephone rang, and it was Bob. "Can you come down to the basement and help me?" I immediately ran down the stairs and the first floor was really smoky, and then headed for the basement. I could hardly see to go down the basement stairs. As I headed down the stairs, Bob called out to open the basement window by the stairs, which I did.
This picture is not blurry. It' the smoke in the basement. Evidently, the pipe that goes from the wood stove to the chimney, fell off. Bob needed my help holding the pipe back on while he went to find some wire to tie it up (a temporary fix). The pipe was warm and it kept getting warmer to the point that I couldn't hold it with my hands, so I held it with the sleeves on my sweat shirt.

Soon Bob came with wire and wired it up so I didn't have to keep holding it.


Then he took some silver tape (I have no idea what kind of tape it is) and taped the pipe in place (once again a temporary fix). We opened all the basement windows and went upstairs and opened all the doors and windows on the first floor and then went upstairs and opened all those windows too! Bob had to get ready to go to a meeting at the church. He was going to try and leave a little early and go to Lowe's and pick-up a new pipe and fittings so he can replace it when he gets home. I'm sitting in my office blogging with extra clothing on, because having windows open in the winter in New York isn't something most people do on a regular basis.
I sure am glad we were home when the pipe fell off. I hate to think of what we would have come home to.

8 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Oh my goodness. What a scare. So fortunate that you both were home and that Bob is so handy so he could take care of it immediately and then give it a new pipe later tonight.

Lori said...

Mom, you blog just like you tell stories, you don't leave out any details. I love it.
I guess I will cut you slack for not leaving me a comment. I noticed you left Natalie one but not me earlier tonight.

Natalie said...

I think if you hadnt been home, you would be doing a lot of laundry to get rid of the smell. Glad that didnt happen! I'm not sure what we will do with Walter Monday morning if his grandpa is being mean he will have to go back to the cage, if he's being nice, he will let him stay. I think he likes walter there, but he won't admit it...:) Walter is his buddy most of the time.

Francie said...

Wow, mom... that sounds just scary!
Did Bob let you take those pictures before you started helping him? You must have your camera attached to you at all times!
Was there any smoke damage at all to your house?

Rachael said...

Yes, I was wondering the same thing as Francie: what did Bob say when he was down there inhaling all that smoke and you were helpfully: TAKING PICTURES!!! :)

Also...pictures at church. How'd you pull that one off?

Tina in CT said...

I wondered the same thing as Rachel.

Is the new pipe installed?

Cecelia said...

O.K. here are some answers to your questions.

I sit in the front pew because I have to play the piano, so I just take out the camera and take a picture. No one seems to even notice except for the lady sitting on the platform at Roosevelt who noticed what I was doing and started smiling and shaking her head in disbelief. But she was behind the podium, so no one saw her.

When Bob called me from his cell phone, I grabbed my camera and ran to the basement. He told me to grab the pipe, but I told him to just wait a minute, I had to get a picture first. He wasn't too happy about that, but, Oh well!

He fixed the pipe today and everything is o.k. There was no damage. I lit a few candles today to help with the smoke smell. It smells pretty good now.

Tina in CT said...

I had a laugh thinking of Bob in the cellar holding the pipe while he called you on his cell phone to come down. I wondered why he couldn't just yell up but figured maybe you had music on so you would not have heard his yell. Then you appear and he's thinking that he'll have instant help and you start snapping pictures. Guess by now he's used to it. Glad that the pipe is fixed and your house did not have any damage or a fire!