Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Friends Help

For over a year now, I have been having a ladies Bible study and craft night once a month (except during the summer). We have such a good time together. At our November meeting, I asked them if they would like to do something special for our community rather than making the craft after our study, and it was a unanimous, yes! So I made a few calls and found a need in the community that wasn't being met. I presented the need to the ladies, and they were excited to help with the project.

What we are doing is making "Exit Baskets" for women when they leave the battered women's shelter. We take a laundry basket and fill it with laundry soap, fabric softener, dish soap, dish cloth, dish towels, toilet paper, paper towels, socks, mittens, blanket, chap stick, deodorant, tooth brush, tooth paste, shampoo, conditioner, hand lotion, and a Bible promise book and book mark. We weave ribbon around and through the basket and items to make it look really special, trying to color coordinate the items in each basket.

Several of my friends at work have jumped on the band-wagon, even though they don't attend the Bible study, and are making items to go in the baskets. My friend Cil, knits dish cloths and then I purchase color coordinating dish cloths. Cil's mother, who just turned 87 last weekend, heard about the project and crocheted a rainbow afghan blanket. My other friend, Barb, cross-stitched book marks to go in the Bible promise books.
I've heard from several of the ladies who come to the Bible study class that they have been making blankets and collecting other items to be placed in the baskets. Our meeting is this Thursday and I'm so excited to be able to meet with friends and study the Bible and work together to help others in our community.


This is the "Rainbow" afghan Pearl crocheted.

These are two of the five cross-stitched bookmarks Barb made.

Some of the men at the church suggested that we put a stuffed teddy bear in the basket also. What do you think? Should we add the teddy bear? Is there something else we should be placing in the baskets? It really is nice to be able to help others in need.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

What a great idea. Do you guys buy everything yourself or do you have some church funds to work with?

I think you've got the contents pretty well covered. I don't know about the teddy bear though. I suppose some might like it. I'm assuming they don't have kids though...

What about a bag of trail mix or Hershey Kisses or granola bars? I was going to say a loaf of bread, but I'm thinking maybe you don't want perishable items.

Francie said...

Yeah, I'm not too fond of the teddy bear idea, either...
I guess if you want to add anything, I'd add a scarf... you may even be able to tie it around the blanket.
Or, if you add Bible verses to some of the items to show relation, not sure what you'd put for the tp, but I'm sure there's something in the Bible about a few of those things!!! ha-ha!
Let me know if you need me to start making scarves, okay?

Shannon said...

light bulbs and a donated pre paid cell phone for emergency situations? Just a thought. I think what you are doing is such a great out-reach to the community.

Natalie said...

I love that huge blanket, I want one that big. Remember that big one Rachael used to have that was always by the couch, and when you would cover up with if, your toes would always stick out the end. I hated that, but it would bring back good memories.

Lori said...

That's a great idea, I think instead of a prepaid cell phone, you should put a calling card in there. Or an old cell phone, all cell phones, even if they don't have a service plan can call 911. I'm sure lots of people have old phones laying around. Then they would have it for emergencies.