Sunday, January 20, 2008

Bright and Early

When you hear the expression, "Bright and Early", what comes to your mind? I always think of the sun shining and roosters crowing.

Much to my dismay, this morning I had to get up bright and early!! That would be 5:30 a.m. The sun wasn't shining and there were no roosters crowing. Even the dogs were still sleeping until I turned on the porch light. It had snowed during the night and we had about 12-18 inches on the ground and it was still snowing. Bob had invited the elders over for breakfast and a meeting starting at 8:00 a.m. What was he thinking? Obviously he wasn't.

All bundled up, Bob went outside to replace the sheared-off pins on the snow blower and then start working on blowing the driveway and sidewalks so the elders could get in the driveway and up to the door. While Bob was working outside, I started getting breakfast ready for our guests. At 7:30 a.m., Bob was still outside working on the driveway and the snow was still falling. Bob was concerned because the snow plow hadn't been by yet. The guests slowly began to arrive and we held off eating breakfast until all had arrived. Then we received a call from one of the members that lives about a mile down the road from us. He said he couldn't get out of his driveway. The snow was up to his chest, about 4 to 5 feet of snow! One of our guests told us he saw the snow plow in the ditch down the road from our house. (might be why our road hasn't been plowed)

All in all, we had four guests come for breakfast and they did accomplish some agenda items during the meeting. Now Bob is off to another meeting at the Roosevelt Church. I bet he takes my car since his truck doesn't have four-wheel drive.

I'm planning to stay home and work on organizing and I think I'll start another craft project, too.

8 comments:

Francie said...

A guy one-mile from you got 4-5 feet and you only got 18 inches??? Wow, that's pretty wild. Is it still snowing?

Tina in CT said...

I can't imagine anyone would venture out for a breakfast meeting when you had 12 - 18 or more of snow and it was still coming down. They are brave and hearty people. Your neighbor had 4to 5 feet a mile away. Wow! You're wise to stay put in the house. If the roads aren't plowed, can a 4-wheel drive get through that?

Cecelia said...

Where we live we get squalls of snow. If you're in the path of the squall, you'll get dumped on, but just outside the squall, you'll get nothing to a few inches. We live on a county road, which had been plowed early and was in need of being plowed again. It had about six inches on it. The state route which joins ours, is always kept plowed. It's not too hard to get around on the roads, it's just getting out of your driveway that makes it difficult. One of our members showed up this morning on his snow mobile. I think he had the right idea. Francie called and wanted to know what I served for breakfast. So here's the menu:
pancakes, with your choice of toppings: thickened peaches, thickened blueberries, or maple syrup and we had hashbrown potatoes, too.

Cecelia said...

Where we live we get squalls of snow. If you're in the path of the squall, you'll get dumped on, but just outside the squall, you'll get nothing to a few inches. We live on a county road, which had been plowed early and was in need of being plowed again. It had about six inches on it. The state route which joins ours, is always kept plowed. It's not too hard to get around on the roads, it's just getting out of your driveway that makes it difficult. One of our members showed up this morning on his snow mobile. I think he had the right idea. Francie called and wanted to know what I served for breakfast. So here's the menu:
pancakes, with your choice of toppings: thickened peaches, thickened blueberries, or maple syrup and we had hashbrown potatoes, too.

Tina in CT said...

Sounds yummy and better than my yoghurt with fresh blueberries.

Lori said...

I'm with Tina, but then again you and Bob make some pretty good breakfast's. I hope you made something really good to make it worth their while.
Oh I just read your comment, it sounds great. I made waffles for breakfast with hot strawberries, I used my freezer jam and frozen stawberries, turned out pretty good.

Shannon said...

I can't believe you have all that snow. we dont have even a dusting on the ground. All we got today were flurries off and on and temps that make ice-cycles form under your nose if you go outside for any reason. Last I checked, with the wind chill factored in it was a whoppin -14 degrees. But no snow on the ground! Go figure.

Rachael said...

I'm guessing you guys are going to get your money worth on that snowblower this year alone!