Friday, August 1, 2008

Fat and Happy at Our House!!!

Last night when I bought all the animal food at the farm store, I had one of the men come and help me load all the bags. Most of them were 35 to 50 pounds each. When I got to the check-out stand, there was a young girl cashiering and she was pregnant. I told her that one of the men had helped me load everything. I though she would call for help. But, No!! She grabbed those bags liked they were filled with feathers and tossed them around. My mouth flew open. She said she was a farm girl and this was nothing for her. So on with my story . . .

Well it's been just me and the animals for the last two nights and we're doing just fine. It's 9:15 in the morning, I have have just finished my breakfast. It took me a long time to unload the car of all the animal food I bought last evening, open the bags and put them in the plastic storage containers. First I had to clean, reorganize, and sweep the back storage room. What a mess!! Then I played with the dogs. They are the sweetest dogs in the world. I sure would love it if Ryan and Lisa decided that Checotah would just be too much for them to handle at their new home. Then, they would want us to keep her. That's how we get most of our dogs.

The dogs have been fed, water, played with and given a special treat which Checotah devoured in seconds and then wanted to help Lola and Punkin with theirs. Lola and Punkin held their ground and Checotah was soon off looking for something else to get into.

The bunnies have been petted, fed, watered, and given two big cabbage leaves. When I went to the garden to get the cabbage leaves, they were kinda muddy from the rain yesterday, so I took them in the house and washed them off. Could bunnies get sick from eating dirt? Anyway, they had fresh clean cabbage leaves for their treat.

Then our many bird feeders needed refilled. So I brought all six feeders in and filled them. The birds are quite happy now. We enjoy watching the birds. I put a special kind of suet in the suet feeder. Looking forward to seeing how they like it. It has raisins in it. I bought some with raisins, berries, peanut butter, and Woodpecker suet. But I know the woodpeckers will eat any suet we put out there. They love it all!!

Next were the parakeets. Oh, am I glad we don't have parakeets on an on going basis. They are very messy. Feathers and food everywhere. While I was at the store I bought them some new toys and a cuddle (don't know how to spell that word) bone. I cleaned their cage, gave them fresh water, food and hung all their new toys. One of the parakeets is a pig, and would holler at the other bird when it would try to come over and eat. They are so cute playing with their new bell. They seem to be much happier now with a few toys to play with.

Then it was the dreaded chick cage that had to be cleaned. I took off the wire and caught each little chick. They are so cute and I love to hold them and talk to them. Anyway, I put them in a deep plastic tote container while I cleaned their washtub. What a project. With the cage now clean with fresh food and water and the homemade heat lamp hanging in place, I caught all the little chicks and put them back in their home. I don't think this will be their home for long. They are growing up fast.

Well I just finished my breakfast of watermelon, homemade bread with homemade raspberry jam and a glass of soy milk. I have to quickly get ready and go to my hair appointment. My hair dresser has a brand new shop, and I'm very excited to go and see it!!!

4 comments:

Dore' said...

Animals are cute, cuddly, fun companions, and a LOT of work! But they're worth it. I'm glad I just have a dog and a cat right now. Soon you'll be out hosing down the chicken coup. It makes me tired just thinking about all you had to do for them. lol Sometimes I think you actually still live in the 1700's compared to most people in the world, with all the farm, the chores, the animals and the canning/freezing/preserving you do.

Dore' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina in CT said...

My, what a busy morning you had. You do have a lot of animals there now so it does require a lot of time. I bet each of the pets enjoyed the pets, food, water, talking, holding and clean surroundings.

I am surprised that you don't get bears. I'm in the burbs and we get them in the neighborhood so it's really something that you don't since you are out in the country.

Has Bob been at the other house all week working on it? How is the well digging going?

You did not mention the cats and kittens in the barn?

Natalie said...

I'm just currious...how much money did you spend at the feed store? It costs me 25 bucks for a bag of Walters food, and he goes through it in a couple of weeks. And my cats eat fast too. I hate to spend money on pet food, it's so expensive.