Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I Love Okra

When I arrived home today from work, I walked into the kitchen and the smell of fresh garlic and dill was in the air. Bob had cut dill, pulled garlic, and picked the okra from the garden and it was waiting for me when I got home. Last year I made pickled okra and Matthew and Ryan love it, so I decided to make some more this year. Last year I had to buy my dill and garlic, but this year Bob planted some.


Here is the fresh dill, garlic and okra. There was more okra that he had put in the refrigerator.


There was enough okra to pickle three quarts. I saved out some of the okra and fried it for supper and had fresh sliced tomatoes with it. Yum!!!

7 comments:

Lori said...

I wish I could come over for dinner, that sounds and looks so good.

Natalie said...

oh yum! I love slimmy okra and pickled slimy okra!

CATHY said...

Natalie,
Somehow you didn't convince me about your love for okra.
I love fried okra, but would have to pass on the slimmy part.
I had watermelon for dinner.

Rachael said...

So, I see you convinced Bob to come home!

I'm not really a huge okra fan. I think you scarred me that one time you insisted I eat my slimy boiled stuff. I think I sat at that table for hours. Kind of ruined it for me. I will still eat it fried, but only with lots of breading and cooked really, really good, so I can't really tell its okra, mostly!

The fresh tomatoes look good though! :)

Francie said...

Yum! I remember the first time in Texas, eating pickled okra... it was so good! Why didn't you have that when we were in New York, huh? You should fedex me a jar!

Tina in CT said...

I'll have to try it when I visit.

Dore' said...

Oh, I love okra.. at least the way you cook it and pickle it. I remember trying it last year when Cathy and I were there. That was the first time I had eaten it pickled and it was delicious! I've eaten it fried since I was a young'n and I like it that way too.. but I can't eat it slimy. Ewww.. that's gross!