Monday, August 25, 2008

It was a day of memory making. . .

Shannon, Madeline, and I had a great time at the State Fair yesterday. The weather was almost perfect, just a little on the hot side, but we all survived. Shannon and I are direction and map challenged and had difficulty figuring out where all the shows and attractions were located and ended up missing some of the shows we were hoping to see. But we had fun trying to find them anyway. We did find several. Some were by chance.


This was the birds of prey show and there were fifteen live birds of prey that entertained us. Madeline was chosen to feed the Bald Eagle. She thought that was pretty special. That Bald Eagle doesn't look real does it? But it is!!!



We took a stroll in the cattle barn too. These cows are so pampered!




When we lived in California, Bob and I went to the State Fair and saw the miniature horses and I fell in love with them. I wanted one with a little buggy so that I could take my grandchildren for rides in the buggy with me. So I was excited to get to watch the miniature horses competition.

Madeline and I liked this miniature horse, but it wasn't for sale.


This miniature horse is for sale. I fell in love with it. I think I would call it Sweet Heart!! But then they told me how much it cost and I knew Bob would never let me have it.



We enjoyed the bear performance.

These chickens were interesting.


Shannon and Madeline rode the bumper cars.

Madeline and I raced to see who would reach the bottom first. Madeline won. But just by a couple of inches.

We all three rode the Ferris wheel.

As we were leaving the fair grounds, we heard that there was a thunderstorm three miles away. We decided we should walk as fast as possible so we could make it to the car before the rain started. A group of people were ahead of us. I was power walking up the hill to the parking lot, and Shannon and Madeline were dragging their feet some distance behind me. I turned and said, "Come on, Move It!" The guy in front of me turned around and looked at me. Then I realized that he thought I was saying it to him. When he and several of the others that were in front of me realized that I was saying that to my daughter and grand-daughter at the bottom of the hill and not to them, they all started laughing. Boy, was I glad.

We made it to the car just before the rains began. It was a big storm and it continued all the way home. Shannon decided that they should just spend the night and leave early in the morning. Monday was Madeline's first day back to school, and we had fun trying to find something for her to wear since they wouldn't have time to go home before going to school. Rachael had sent some of Katya's clothes that she had outgrown for Hannah so we went through those and found a top that fit Madeline. I had a jean skirt that Madeline had left the last time she visited, so she was all set for school. She looked really cute.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yesterday sure was a fun day. I'm still wondering how we got to see so much stuff last year in only one day cause it sure seemed like we ran out of time with just the three of us yesterday. It must be that Bob knew how to use that crazy (didn't make any since) map they gave us at the entrance. It would have been a lot easier to use if the buildings actually had red (or blue or green) roofs like they did on the map. We would have known exactly where we were supposed to be.
It really was a fun day and Madeline made it to school on time this morning too.
Thank you for inviting us.

Tina in CT said...

What a great fair! Wish I'd been there to go with you.

Tina in CT said...

Those miniature horses are just so darn adorable. I hope you talk Bob into buying one. What's with those chickens? Did they die all their feathers? Isn't that harmful to the chickens?

CATHY said...

You know you can get organic, vegetarian fed chicken eggs at the market, but your blog wouldn't be as interesting to read.I am so tired. I had another "Cecelia" day. I just got home from taking Corey to the airport. Tomorrow a guy from the conference is coming over to train me on a new program. I am not liking this.

Lori said...

Sounds like a fun time. I can only imagine you and Shannon wandering around lost and late for shows at the fair. Glad you still had fun and missed the thunderstorm.

Natalie said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun. I can't help but wonder how often we do or say things that people take wrong and we never know it because they don't say anything and we are too oblivious to realize it. That's pretty funny though. I love that bald eagle!

Rachael said...

Looks like a fun day. I can't believe you guys pieced together Maddie's first day of school outfit like that! You should have taken a picture. (I bet she still looked cute.) Did she have her backpack and all her supplies with her too?