Monday, August 18, 2008

He was going too fast . . .

Last night Bob and I were on our way home and we had Gracie and Hannah with us. I was extremely tired and had fallen asleep. Bob likes it when I fall asleep in the car because then he can go faster than he's suppose to without listening to my reporting of speed limits. When I felt the car slowing down, it woke me up. "What's wrong?" I said to him. He said, "I just passed a cop going the opposite way and he turned around." Sure enough, it wasn't long before those red lights were flashing behind us. We were on a back road, and you rarely see cops out in the middle of no-where, so even I tend to go faster than I should. He pulled over off the road, and there was a cement ravine that wasn't visible and the right front wheel went into it and the frame rested on the ledge with the tire suspended. The cop asked Bob, "do you know why I stopped you?" Bob, "I probably was going too fast". "Yep. You were going 51 in a 30." (I think he was guessing because the speed limit on this road is 55 until you come into town one mile from the stop sign then it drops to 30). All I could see were $$$$$$$$$. The cop asked for his license and registration and Bob gave him his license and I was digging through the glove-box looking for the current registration. Why is it there are always three or four expired registrations, but never the current one? Gracie and Hannah were crying and scared and it was chaotic inside the truck with the girls crying and me trying to find the registration and Bob trying to answer the cops questions. The cop gave Bob back his license and told him to slow down and that he would wait to make sure he could get the truck out of the ravine. Bob had me slid over to the driver's side and he went out and stood on the bumper to add some weight to the opposite side hoping the truck would come out of the hole. I was hoping the cop moved back far enough so when I put the truck in reverse and stepped on the gas I wouldn't run right into the front of the police car. The truck came right out of the ravine without any problem. The girls calmed down and we drove home at a nice slow pace. Hannah said, "Grandma, this would make a really good children's story. I'm going to remember this so when I get big I can tell it for the children's story at church."

14 comments:

Natalie said...

That is so lucky that Bob got out of that one! What sweet little girls.

Francie said...

Good for Bob to not get a ticket... that's really funny what Hannah said, too!

Rachael said...

So did he learn his lesson?

Lori said...

Bob has a hard time with speeding anc cell phones. I guess you wont be sleeping in the car anymore.
Glad he got away with it this time, that would have been a big fine going that fast.

CATHY said...

I think Bob getting out of that ticket is referred to as Grace.
To bad Corey isn't "graced" at times. HE is always getting a ticket.
Looks like you guys had a great time.
Tell Shannon congratulations. What an accomplishment.

Shannon said...

Lucky for Bob. Is the truck okay or did it get bent?

Those country roads are hard not to speed on.

Tina in CT said...

I just made 5 can casserole. I use ground beef and add in sauted onions and kernel corn. Tonight I also added in a can of dark red kidney beans. I love this recipe and it's great to have on hand in the freezor.

It won't be long said...

Hi, Cecilia, Come and visit my site and see if you recognize anything. Helen

Natalie said...

mom, whats the name of the machine that makes ice cream out of frozen fruits?

Cecelia said...

Natalie,

I have no idea what that machine is called. I bet Vicki knows. Check with her.

Cecelia said...

Rachael,

Bob decided to go on a different road yesterday. I doubt he learned his lesson.

Cecelia said...

Shannon,

The truck is fine. I thought maybe it would have bent the frame, but Bob says it's just fine!!!

Cecelia said...

Tina,

You are quite the embellisher of the five can casserole. Sounds really good. I think I'll add some corn next time. I'm allergic to kidney beans so I'll leave those out. It's a family favorite that now includes our extended family too!!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.