Saturday, August 23, 2008

I have to feed the chickens too?

I just found out that I'm going to be taking care of all the animals this week. By myself. I think I can handle all of them except the chickens are going to be most challenging. Bob gave me a lesson today on how and what I have to do for the chickens.

First thing in the morning I have to go through this door to let the chickens out. This door leads to the basement of the barn and it hasn't been cleaned out from the former owners and it's full of all kinds of junk. Punkin likes to go exploring in this part of the barn so I'm hoping she'll want to go with me just in case other critters are exploring at the same time I go in.




Once I enter the door to the barn basement, I have to walk down this walkway.




Junk everywhere.




Once I get to the back of the basement I turn to the left and I have to open this door to get to the chicken coup.
Then I have to check the boxes for eggs.

Here's an egg in the corner.

We gathered four eggs total. Here are two Bob found in one box.

Over on the left is where we will put my miniature horse when I get it. I hope I'm still able to walk by myself when we get it and the barn is still standing.

This is the hole I have to crawl through in the evening to catch the baby chicks and bring them in to their cage. I hope my hips fit through that hole.




This is the chicken yard that the chickens run around in all day. See the hole in the barn on the left? That's the hole I'll be coming through to catch the baby chicks.

I hope all goes well this week. But for now, I'm heading to the State Fair with Shannon and Madeline. I'll worry about the chickens tomorrow.

11 comments:

Elle J said...

Oh! My! You have made life on a farm seem so alluring ... until this post. LOL!! I do not think I could handle the chickens; best of luck!

Tina in CT said...

Oh my gosh! Make sure you wear a wide brimmed hat. You're braver than I would be.

How was the state fair?

Shannon said...

Better you then me. I'm just a chicken when it comes to that stuff...PUN intended!

Rachael said...

I don't know, Mom. It's looks kind of dangerous! Be careful!

Natalie said...

Those pictures don't portray just how scary that barn is. Be sure to make lots of noise when you go out there in case there are possums or racoons, and take the shotgun with you. You do have one of those don't you?

Dore' said...

That is scary! I think you should ask Madeline to stay with you and have her crawl through that hole for you. That looks more like something a kid would do now someone our age. I'll be praying for you because seriously, it looks really scary!

What is the N.Y. state fair like, and what city is it in?

CATHY said...

I know you can do it momma! You will be just fine. It does look kind of scary so be very careful.State Fair..wow... I wanna go.

Lori said...

It didn't seem that bad til you got to the part about the hole you have to crawl through to catch the little chicks. Then you get to crawl back through the hole with them to put them away?
That is a lot of work for some fresh eggs! Good thing you have Bob to do it for you most of the time.

I didn't know you were getting a miniature horse. I want one so bad. There is a lady here who has them for sale, $100 for females and $200 for males. They are babies so not ready for homes yet, but I really want one for Tony. When they are about 3 years old you can cart train them and have them pull you around in it. How cool would that be? We have tons of space for them too, I told him we could put him out with the cows and it wouldn't be any trouble at all. Somehow I haven't been able to convince him. I may just have to take him over and show him the little horses and then maybe he will change his mind.

CATHY said...

My sister raises miniature horses. Too bad I couldn't fit one in my suitcase and bring it with me when I come.

Natalie said...

mom, congratulations on your sale!

Tina in CT said...

What did you sell?