Thursday, July 31, 2008

Clothes Strung Everywhere

Last night when I got home from work, Lisa and the kids were getting ready to leave to go down to the house and surprise Ryan and Bob and see how things are coming along!! They told me not to worry about the pets in the morning, because they would be home first thing and would take care of them. They loaded their van and they were off. I kept myself busy all evening and even went to the grocery store to pick-up a few items. About bed time, I remembered that the office was having a picnic on Thursday, and I had signed up to bring a salad. I had signed up for salad because I wanted to use the cabbage and onions out of the garden. Before Bob left on Sunday, he told me that he was going to put two heads of cabbage in the refrigerator on the back porch so I intended on using some of it. Earlier in the evening I had gone to the garden and pulled the onions and they were waiting to be chopped. I chopped the onions, put them in a Ziploc bag and in the refrigerator. I mix up the dressing in a pint canning jar and put it in the refrigerator. Then I toasted sesame seeds, slivered almonds, and crushed ramen noodles and put that in a Ziploc bag. Now the only thing left to do was shred the cabbage and put it away. I went to the refrigerator and opened it to find no cabbage. That was just great!!! No cabbage. Now what was I going to do? I certainly couldn't go out in the garden and get any. It was too dark and I didn't have a flashlight. I was hoping that Lisa hadn't already used it, because I knew I wouldn't have time in the morning to run to the store and buy some. I tucked the dogs in their respective beds and turned off the lights, except for the light that's keeping the baby chicks warm, and went to bed. Unfortunately, I had to get up several times during the night and open the window by the staircase and holler at Lola to "be quiet"! She kept barking and barking and barking. There was no way I was going to go outside and investigate, so I just hollered every time she barked. Finally we both got tired and went to sleep.


The alarm woke me up much sooner than I felt like getting up, but I only had one hour before I had to leave to go and pick up my friend, Cil, and head for work so I jumped out of bed and started my morning routine. I decided that I would go and let the dogs outside for awhile before I dried my hair so I went downstairs and outside the back door of the kitchen. There was a lot of whining and barking from Checotah and Punkin wanting to be petted and let outside. I let both dogs outside and then went to get Lola out of the slammer. Lola will not come into the garage at night to sleep, she runs for the slammer. So, that's where I put her at night.


I went out to the garden to get a head of cabbage and the dogs followed me out there. They are really good about not going into the garden. They know they can only come to the edge so they just wait there for me. I had never picked cabbage before and I found out that you cannot pick cabbage out of the garden. You need a knife to cut it off. I came back to the house and got a knife and went back out to cut the cabbage. I brought the cabbage back into the house and then went back outside to put Checotah on her chain (she can't be left off the chain because she will run out in the street if something or somebody goes by). All three of the dogs were hungry so I gave them all some breakfast and then hurried back into the house to get ready for work. I had to shred the cabbage and then get all the ingredients for the salad put in a basket along with a bowl and salad tongs. By now, I had eight minutes to fix my hair and get dressed. Breakfast wasn't going to happened this morning. It's a rare morning that I don't eat breakfast and this was a rare morning. Just keep reading . . .


I rushed out the door, basket and purse in hand and then had to run back into the house to pick up an envelope (Lola's dog license fee that was due today) I had to drop off at the County office before heading for work. I give both Lola and Punkin a pat on the head and tell them to be good and stay home and holler at Checotah and tell her to be good and not to bark all day. As I pull to the end of the driveway and look left down the road, I see clothes scatter all down the center line as far as I can see. That's strange, I think to myself. I wonder what those are doing there. Then I look to the right (the direction I was going to turn) and the scatter clothing continued down the center yellow line as far as I could see with an occasional shirt, sock, hat, or shoe on either and both sides of the road. What in the world? What is going on? How did this happen? I then see dress shoes on the side of the road and a short distance later I see a leather coat. At first I thought maybe Lisa forgot to shut the back door on the van and these are all their clothes, but then I remember that I went to the store after they left and there weren't any clothes scattered around then. Whew! Glad they aren't ours so I don't have to get out there and gather them all up. The clothes went for two miles. After I dropped off the envelope at the county office, I turned around and headed to Cil's house. Then I thought, "Blog this!!!" So I pulled over to the side of the road and got out my camera. I took one from the car, but it wasn't very good, so I waited until several cars went by, and then jumped out and took another one. More cars coming, so I get back in my car. Then I remembered that I have a zoom feature. So I get back out and go out to the middle of the road and zoom in as fast as I can, snap the picture and run back and get in the car before the next three cars whiz by. O.K. I have to stop messing around I'm running ten minutes late, so I drive a little faster to Cil's house. I arrived at Cil's house only one minute late. Cil and I talked about all those clothes and we have our theory about how they got there.


Here's our theory: A wife discovered that her husband was having an affair, and took all her husbands clothes and deliberately scattered them down County Route ?. Sounds logical to me. What a great idea. Better than throwing his clothes out the second story window and making a mess on the front lawn.

I wish I had had more time and could have gotten a better picture. A little further down, there was a steady stream of clothes. But I was in a hurry so this is the best I could do.

When I came home from work, Lisa hadn't been home, she had a change of plans, and the animals were hungry. I needed to run and get chicken food, dog food, bird food, and rabbit food before the farm store closed. So back out and down the road I went. The dogs were confused about me coming home and then immediately leaving again. I soon returned and decided to go and let Checotah off the chain to run around for a little while. She could get some exercise while I went in to change my clothes and then I would put the dogs to bed for the night. Checotah was so excited to see me she rolled over on her back and I bent over to rub her tummy and then she jumped up and started running around me, still on her chain, and wrapped my ankles with the chain and then jumped up on me and knocked me down and when I fell down on my back, my skirt went over my head and Checotah was just so happy to have me home and paying attention to her that she laid on top of me and started licking. Punkin and Lola just sat on the porch watching. I'm sure glad we live out in the country. Finally I got Checotah off of me and settled down enough to unlatch the chain from her collar and then she went running around in circles which gave me time to unwrap the chain from my ankles and get myself off the ground. I have a few cuts and bruises, but I'll probably live.

The animals have all been put to bed for the night and so far I haven't had to holler at Lola and I've only had to tell Checotah to be quiet once.

I sure hope tomorrow is a less eventful day.


I

8 comments:

Francie said...

Wow.
Wow.
Wow.
I'm not quite sure how you fit all that into your day, mom!

CATHY said...

Gee Cecelia, couldn't you find anything else to do.
I can't believe that someone would throw their husbands clothes down the road but what I great idea.
Good thing I didn't read that story before my anniversary!!!!!
I'm glad you didn't break anything when you fell. I don't want to have to wheel you around when we come out there. ;)

Dore' said...

Oh my! What a day! No Cabbage, Clothes on the road, ..and then being bound at the ankles, jumped on, and slobbered all over.. Tell me, was it a full moon? What a crazy day. lol
I sure hope you are o.k.

Tina in CT said...

What a busy day. I like your idea on why the clothes were scattered for two miles down the center of the road.

When you were writing about the barking, I thought you were going to tell us that there was a big bear or moose out in your yard.

Rachael said...

So did you make it to work in time?

That's quite a story.

Tina in CT said...

My neighbor had about a 400 lb. female digging in his garbage the other night and the next night a 500 lb. male was in his yard. He saw both of them go up the street and walk through the front yard across the street from me. After I heard that, I had Liesel out on the line after dark and she was barking and barking. I wondered if she heard, smelled or sensed anything. I was right out there on the walk watching her as I never have her out alone. We live in the burbs and not the wilds either. It's sad how all the wildlife is having their territory built up.

Tina in CT said...

Clarification about my previous comment. I was talking about bears in our neighborhood this week.

Shannon said...

Well, I think you need to write a book of short stories about every day life. I bet it would be on the best seller list for a long time if you use stories like this one. I was laughing pretty hard imagining you with your skirt around your face and the dog laying on you. Just be careful with the dog-run, I have a pretty nasty bruise on my leg from getting caught on Cooper's last week and I have heard a few stories about people breaking their legs when they get tangled up like you did.
Did you make it to work on time?
Were the clothes still on the rode when you went home? You are so right in saying the woman was smart for not cluttering the lawn. Plus, it the theory is true, she wouldn't have to worry about her husband being over at the house all mad while he is trying to collect his stuff. That might be...dangerous?
If the woman is this smart already, imagine her with an attorney. EESH.