Saturday, July 19, 2008

Gardening Update!

We have a huge garden this year and we are beginning to pick some of the fruits and vegetables. One of my favorite things to do in the summer is to go into the garden, after coming home from work, and eat my dinner fresh. I love raw cucumbers, okra, tomatoes, green beans, black eyed peas, green peas, and corn. Right now we have tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, green peas, cabbage, zucchini, peppers, onions, potatoes, blueberries, boysenberries, and raspberries. My favorite vegetable is fresh green peas. I love sitting on the porch in my metal rocking chair with a big basket full of green peas to shell and eat. It just doesn't get any better than that.
Ryan and Matt are very helpful in keeping the weeds pulled in the garden.

Ryan and Matt helping pick raspberries.


Bob is just getting started with the raspberry picking. There are lots of green raspberries, so we should have raspberries for several weeks. I'm hoping to make raspberry jam.

The boysenberries are huge.


Cabbage and cucumbers. I took cabbage salad for potluck at church today and it was a big hit!

More of our garden produce.

We had fresh green beans Friday evening for supper.

9 comments:

Natalie said...

I was just telling Adam this morning about all the fruits and vegetables we used to have when we lived in California. I was craving big fat blueberries, which is what got me thinking about how good I used to have it with fresh food. I those are Bobs hands, those ARE really bit berries.

Cecelia said...

Those are Bob's hands. And, yes, the berries are really big.

Shannon said...

I like to eat out of the garden too, but the best part is when I tag behind you because you know where all the good stuff is.

Tina in CT said...

Looks yummy - especially the berries - as I'm a berry lover.

CATHY said...

The garden looks great. Reminds me of your garden in Cali when you lived by Margie.
Is Bob going to make any cobblers this year? Ask him to make one and save it for me when I come out there in Oct.
Our Pluots are ripening. I ate our first one off our tree yesterday, it was so juicy.

Tina in CT said...

Also filled Diane in on your garden update blog and how good everything looks.

Rachael said...

I hope you freeze some stuff for us!

Dore' said...

Mmm.. everything looks so yummy!

Lori said...

We're just starting to get all the veggies now, I wish we had fruit too.
Wish you'd come visit and help us make spaghetti sauce and can tomatoes.