Saturday, July 19, 2008

Communion Bread

Last week I was asked to make the communion bread for the communion service today. I agreed and made it yesterday. I usually tell the children's story each week and I try to tell a story that goes along with what Bob will be preaching about. So, I couldn't think of anything to go with his sermon today, entitled "The Bread". So I decided to teach the children about the communion bread. Here's what they learned.

The wheat being crushed - Jesus being crushed and bruised for our sins
I showed them wheat kernels and showed them how in the old days the kernels were ground.

Whole wheat flour is used because Jesus made the complete sacrifice. White flour would be an incomplete sacrifice and would misrepresent Jesus.
I placed one cup of whole wheat flour in a bowl.

Salt - the Bible tells us we are the salt of the earth and we need to go and share with others what He has done for us.
I placed 1/4 tsp salt in the bowl on top of the whole wheat flour and stirred it.

Oil represents the Holy Spirit that helps us make right decisions and gives us the strength to do it.
I added 1/4 cup oil to the flour and salt mixture.

Water represents the washing away of our sins.
I added 4 Tablespoons water to the mixture.

Then I mixed the ingredients with a spoon and placed it on a cookie sheet, rolled it out with a rolling pin, scored it and told them that it would then need to be baked for about 10 minutes.

Any communion bread that has been blessed and not used during the service must be burned as instructed in the Bible. Let's remember that Jesus is the bread that gives us life.

The children seemed to really enjoy the lesson and even some of the adults came to me to let me know that they learned from the children's story today also.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I learned a lot from reading this too.

CATHY said...

What a great idea to use for the kids. I even learned something just reading yoru blog.
My momma is so smart!

Dore' said...

Oh, Ive always wanted the recipe for communion bread. Now I've got it. :)

Lori said...

I didn't know that either. Do they really burn the leftover bread?