Friday, May 23, 2008

What would you do?

Yesterday I received a call from one of Bob's sisters. She was calling to wish Bob a happy birthday, but he wasn't home, so I got to visit with her for a little while. I told her about the scary walk I had had the day before and she told me that she had had a scare earlier in the month and told me the following story. . .

She and her husband had just arrived home from a trip and as they entered the house, things just didn't look right. There was an empty bottle on the counter. She said that didn't bother her too much. If I had been her I would have been bothered, because she keeps her house immaculate and would have never left the house with an empty bottle on the counter. The office had been gone through and there were men's clothes in the washing machine. At this point I would have been screaming and getting out of that house. She decided to check upstairs to see if everything was O.K. up there. When she went to the bedroom at the end of the hall and looked in she found a man in bed. At this point, I would have screamed and run down the stairs. The man sat up and looked at her. She calmly asked him, "What are you doing in my house?" The man answered, "My grandmother told me I could stay at her house while she was away. I guess this is the wrong house?" She then called for her husband to come and she went to call the police. The man jumped out of bed, stark naked, and ran down the stairs and got his wet clothes out of the washing machine, put them on and ran out the front door. The police later caught him. He had escaped from a locked-down facility.

Bob's family handles situations much better than I would. They think through the situation before reacting. That's why they don't look ridiculous when the event is over like I do. How would you react in a situation like this?

6 comments:

Tina in CT said...

The minute I'd walked in and seen something out of place, I'd have set the speed record getting out of the house, jumped in the car and driven down the street while calling 911. They were very foolish to stay in the house as that man could have killed them.

Natalie said...

SCAREY! There is a good chance my heart would have popped out of my chest. I can't stand the thought of someone being in my house like that. Good thing it didn't happen here. Adam and I came home once, the back door was wide open, Walter was locked in the upstairs bedroom, and a black cat in my living room ( I don't have a black cat). Adam handed me the shotgun, he took the hand gun and we searched the house inside out. Wonder if I could have really shot it? Maybe once he started running towards me naked??

Adoption Blog said...

scary! Oh My! I would of Picked Bhavishya up and ran out of the house, take the car and call the police with my cell phone or if my neighbours were there, run to their house...but what about Pashmina??? She would have either made friends with him or she would have barked and barked and barked...with her one never knows! (siiiigggggghhhh!) I guess it depends if Bhavishya would have been within the vicinity of the man and whether she felt he was a threat for her human sister!

Yak just the thought a man like this could go through my stuff and wash his clothes in my machine! I find this discusting!

Dore' said...

Oh yeah, I would have freaked out! Run to my car and locked the doors and called 911 immediately. Talk about scary! I'd be praying the whole time, though. Knowing God would take care of me. Never would I have gone looking for the guy. That is just crazy.. IMO.

CATHY said...

Who knows what I would have done. Guess it depends on the mood I was in when I got home. Now if I had just gotten home from work, I probably would have gotten something to eat, turned on the TV to watch some of my recordings and waited til he got up. I can be pretty brain dead after working and dealing with people all day.
As for the bottle on the counter, I would have thought maybe my neighbor came over while I was gone. LOL...we love Charlie.

Lori said...

That is really scary, I don't know what I would have done, but I wouldn't have done what she did that's for sure.
Whenever I'm home alone and I think I hear something that could be 'someone' I get very still and quiet so they think no one is home, and then wait to try and hear it again while I am mentally planning my evacuation and action plan. Of course it has never actually been someone, just usually something (wind, mouse in the attic, etc) making a strange noise.