Friday, May 9, 2008

To Little Miss Tennessee

Grandpa and I were so excited to come to Tennessee and meet you for the first time. Your daddy picked us up at the airport and grandpa and your dad had a nice visit while I sat in the back seat holding Molly the dog. You were such a good baby. Auntie Natalie said that the Lord only gives you what you can handle and that's why your mommy got such a good baby. You and grandma have spent a lot of time together and I have many fond memories of you staying with us while mommy was in the Army Reserves and the many trips we have made together from New York to Michigan. You are such a good little girl to travel with because you look for all the Cracker Barrel Stores while I drive. And then when we stop we have a fun time looking around together.

You and grandma bonding.

When you visited us in California, you helped grandpa in the garden. Grandpa is holding on to you from behind the fence so I can take the picture. When grandpa was picking the vegetables, you liked to help him.

Your home in Tennessee. I made your dress and your mommy's. You called your pacifier, Patsie!
You and your mommy flew out to California and drove with grandma to Washington to attend a special mother's day weekend at Walla Walla College where Auntie Francie and Auntie Natalie were attending. Auntie Lori drove over from Seattle to meet us. This is a picture of you in Sabbath School at the college church.
Here you are walking down the sidewalk at grandma and grandpa's house in California. I remember when you came to stay with grandma and had to go to work with me at the antique store. The customers that came in thought you were so cute. You would wave at the customers when they would leave. Grandma's friends, Cathy and Dore, called you little Miss Tennessee.

While you were visiting grandma and grandpa in California, auntie Lori came down from Washington to see you. We had a photographer friend take some special pictures in downtown Escalon. Here's you and auntie Lori sitting on an old train step.

This is a special picture taken of you wearing old underwear that your great-grandmother wore when she was a little girl. The suitcase came out of your great-great-grandmother's house, the doll was given to me when I was a little girl. The embroidered blanket was made by your great aunt Kate, and the little duck toy was one of my toys that I played. The jar of marbles that you are holding contained my prized marbles that I loved to play with and that's the last time those marbles were contained in that jar, because you dropped the jar and it broke and all the marbles went rolling all over the sidewalk. It took us quite a little time to pick them all up. We even had a little help from passers-by.


This picture was taken when you went to visit auntie Lori in Washington.


You and your doggy friend, "Beasley" . Beasley's been your friend since you were a little girl. You were so sweet to send Beasley with your dad in the big truck so he wouldn't be lonely while he was away from home.
You and grandpa petting a new baby goat at one of the church member's house.

You playing on Ben's tricycle when you went with me to Michigan.

Just having fun!!!

It was fun helping you make cupcakes this year to take to school to share with your friends. I hope that you had a fun birthday party. Maybe next year, grandma will be able to come.

I'm so thankful that you are my little granddaughter. You are precious to me. Happy belated birthday, Madelne.

I love you,

Grandma

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh, miss Tennessee. Didn't she get that name from the customer's at your store? Whenever someone walked in she would stand there and wave at them like Miss America.

Madeline sure thinks you and Grandpa make the world go round. She is lucky we live so close.

This is a really sweet Birthday post. Since I'm not the best blogger, I am glad that I will still have all these memories. (You are definately a better blogger then me!)

Natalie said...

Madeline, is such a sweetheart. I miss her so much. Wish she lived closet to her favorite auntie!

CATHY said...

Well, I think little Miss Tennessee is growing up to become Miss New York. She is still adorable. They are just growing up to fast. We Grandparents would keep them as an infant if we could!

Lori said...

I can't believe she still has Beasly. I bought her that little dog a long time ago.

I have a lot of memories of Maddie Paige. For never living near her I feel like I've been lucky to get to see her as much as I have and know her so well. She is such a sweetheart.

I love those black and white pictures, and I remember the marbles going everywhere.

Rachael said...

I never knew you called her Miss Tennessee. She looks like Lori in the picture with the short little pigtails.