Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Intimidated and Lost

Natalie has posted about how she got lost when running and how Walter was recently intimidated by a dog larger than he is. Well, today, I was both intimidated and lost.

Since I'm off work this week recuperating from last weekends marathon of events that I was involved in, I have been trying to devote more time to exercising and planning my meals. (I want to win that $500) About half a mile down the road from our house is a side street that is perfect for walking on. There's not much traffic and it's exactly three miles round trip. I usually walk in the evening. But since I'm off this week I decided that today I would walk in the morning, after lunch, and again in the evening. I have to drive and park my car on the side of the road, because I don't want the dogs to follow me off the property. So that's what I did.

A mile into my walk I pass a house that has two Rottweiler mixed dogs chained and one collie/shepherd mix dog that isn't chained. The collie/shepherd mix dog always runs out after me, but someone from the house always comes out and rescues me and the dog goes back to the house. Today, like always, the two dogs on the chains are barking and trying to break lose, and the collie/shepherd mix dog comes running after me. To my surprise, no one was home, so the dog just kept coming. I hollered at it, but it didn't do much good. The dog eventually got tired of chasing me, and turned around and went home. Whew!!! I was glad to see him go home. I don't think he would actually bit, but he's intimidating the way he barks and chases.

When I got to the end of the road and turned around to start walking back, I noticed a thick one foot long stick laying on the side of the road, so I decided I would pick it up and carry it just in case I needed it when I passed that house where the three dogs are. As I approached the house, the collie/shepherd mix dog came running out towards me and to my surprise, one of the Rottweiler mixed dogs had broken off the chain and came running out too. I started screaming, and screaming, and screaming, and then started running!!!! Of course no one heard me, I was out in the middle of nowhere. Eventually, they went back to their house and I kept walking the opposite way from where my car was.

My plan was to find someone home at one of the houses down the road and ask for a ride past that house. Well, there was no one home. So I just kept walking. At the end of the road I turned right hoping to find someone home at one of those houses. I had no luck. I just kept walking. Then I saw a car coming toward me, and it looked like a car that an older person would drive, so I started waving hoping they would stop. It was a car older people would drive because as they past me waving back at me, they appeared to be a great-grandma and great-grandpa couple in the car. No luck!! No ride!! I just kept walking.

I passed the volunteer fire station. It was closed. Two geese in the field started honking at me and coming towards me. I just walked faster and they soon stopped coming towards me. Then it started sprinkling. Great!! Then I saw something black run across the road. I was sure it was a dog. But as I got closer, it was a cat. Then I turned onto another road, hoping it would take me back but as I continued walking, I had no idea where I was. Two construction trucks went by, but I opted not to wave at them. Then a guy in a pick-up pulled out of a driveway and went down the road and pulled into the next driveway. It was a dairy farm. When I reached the driveway, the man was talking to a young girl, so I stopped and asked if he could help me find County Route ? I told him what had happened, and he was surprised that I had walked so far. He and his daughter were on their way to the little store just a half mile from our house, so I got in with them and they drove me to my car. I was so thankful to them for their help. They asked me where I lived and I told them we had bought the old Fuller place. They knew right where that was and commented on about all the work we had done to the place.

I got in my car and I was curious to see how far I had walked, so I drove the road I had walked and it was exactly five miles to the farmers house. Not as far as I thought I had walked, but farther than I had started out to walk.

Intimidated? Yes! Lost? Yes!

I sure hope the rest of the day goes better than this morning.

5 comments:

Tina in CT said...

You were a lucky girl to find a safe ride back. Why not take one of the dogs with you next time you walk as it might keep the crazy dog from coming out after you? I would drive over there (with Bob) and confront the people. Better yet, call the local police about those dogs. Someone could be severly bitten or run out in front of an oncoming car/truck.

I bet you are tired!

Rachael said...

I bet those dogs bark are worse than their bite. I'm laughing imagining you screaming and running. (Sorry.) But, I guess better safe than sorry.

Curious to know if you went again after lunch and dinner or called that good?

Natalie said...

oh, no! That's scary! Those rotts can do a lot of damage if they aren't nice! Good thing you got back before dark. Hope you're enjoying your time off!

Lori said...

I'm guessing you didn't go back two more times that day for more walks.
I walk out here in the country too and am always leary of dogs that are loose, but so far, none have chased after me.
So you going to keep going there for walks, or find a new place?

Dore' said...

Silly me. I just realized I could leave a comment. ..and read others. lol Yeah, I'm a little slow sometimes. :eyeroll:
I'm not normally afraid of dogs and I can't imagine you are either. But if they were so aggressive and large, I'd have been scared too. So glad you made it out of there safely. Will went with 6 of his friends to NW Washington state on vacation for a week and he and another girl both run for exercise. They didn't run at the same time though. There were some dogs that kept chasing them and barking at them and they would just yell at them and run out in the street and the dogs would run home and they were fine. They weren't afraid of them. Then one day the girl was running down the middle of the street and one of the dogs without warning ran up and bit her. She didn't even hear it approach her. They spent that day in the clinic. She had a quarter size chunk of her bitten off of the back of her thigh. So, hopefully, you'll do your walking somewhere else, far away from those dogs.