Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

Being a mother is one of the most rewarding professions you could ever experience. Raising six children, five girls and one boy, has made memories I will always cherish. What a blessing each one has brought to me and the blessings continue with my seventeen grandchildren, soon to be eighteen. I have many memories of mother's days past with handmade cards and bouquets of dandelions and wild flowers presented to me while still in bed with smiles, hugs and kisses. One year Rachael (age 4), Ryan (age 3), and Shannon (age 18 months) decided that they were going to make me breakfast and serve me breakfast in bed. They got out the eggs, milk, and rice krispies cereal, a skillet, and several large spoons. Three chairs were pulled up to the stove and all twelve eggs, one gallon milk, and a whole box of cereal was put into a skillet. At least attempted to be put in a skillet. The ingredients were stirred around well and then placed on a plate and delivered to me as a special breakfast for mother's day. Remember, it's the thought that counts and the love that went into it. I can't imagine my life without a houseful of children and the busyness that comes with raising children and the days I look forward to when the grandchildren come over to visit and remind me of the fun times of a house full of little feet. And now my daughters have little ones of their own and they are wonderful mothers. I'm so very proud of them.

Rachael and baby Ben


Rachael and Jack


Rachael and Kristen

Shannon and Madeline

Lori and Anthony

Lisa is my son's wife and is just like a daughter to me.

Getting to roll Hannah's hair on spongy curlers on Friday night so her hair will be curly for Sabbath. I used to roll all five of my girls hair on spongy curlers every Friday evening when they were little.

Going camping with the grandchildren and reading them stories was lots of fun. But, it's even more fun now, because they ask me to tell them stories about when my children were little. And they remember every detail and correct me if I change the story. They are so sweet.

It was fun to make new curtains for the children's bedrooms. They enjoyed watching and helping a little too!!

Thank you to all my children and grandchildren for the gifts, cards and telephone calls. You are truly the joy of my life.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

I was just reading Todd's post when this one popped up. You are on a blogging bandwagon. Thanks for not showing any "fat" pictures of me from after I had Kristen!

Hope you had a happy mother's day. Sorry we couldn't spend it with you. I hope your rose bushes will bloom beautifully for years to come.

Tina in CT said...

I'm sure you reflected a lot yesterday on past Mother's Days when the children were growing up.

Oh my, poor Lola. So glad she was OK. I agree with you that they need the slammer at night.