Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My Trip to Massachusetts

It was a great trip. I left early enough to make several stops along the way and still arrive an hour early at the Public House Inn. While waiting I took a few pictures of the delicious looking pastries at the Inn's bakery. I then sat next to the fireplace and waited for Tina and Diane to arrive. Tina immediately recognized me and we all hugged and began talking and the talking didn't stop for four and a half hours. Just imagine three women talking non-stop. And we managed to eat a full-course dinner including dessert. Nothing was going to slow us down.
It was great hearing stories about each family and looking at pictures. I must say that I took way too many pictures albums with me. They were more balanced with the amount of pictures they brought to share. I'll have to work on being able to make up my mind, so I don't have to take everything to share at one time. I learned that Diane's husband has spoiled her more that Bob has spoiled me. She doesn't even pump gas! She told several hilarious stories about herself. I'll just say that when she finished the stories she pointed to her hair and said, "blond". Oh, it was such a wonderful evening.
I learned that Diane raises dwarf bunnies and at that point my ears perked up (even more) because just last Friday evening, little Hannah mentioned that she wish she had a bunny. So Diane is going to give Hannah a bunny. We just have to figure out how we're going to get it. She said if she called her husband that he would bring it down to the restaurant, but we didn't put that statement to the test. She also has an angora bunny and she spins the fur making yarn to knit with.
Tina told stories about her two little granddaughters whose pictures look so angelic, but the stories didn't hold true to the pictures. The girls are adorable and I loved the sweet picture of her two granddaughters and my Katya walking arm in arm in Russia. That's where this whole friendship began. If it wasn't for the three girls, we wouldn't know each other. It's amazing how God brings family and friends together. She is still looking for the perfect doxie. She has several leads, but no final decision yet.
And I have to tell you that the dinner was delicious. We all three ordered the same menu item. We started off with a green salad. Tina and Diane were brave and tried the house dressing made with maple syrup. They said it was delicious, but I was afraid I wouldn't like it, so I stuck with ranch. They brought out homemade rolls. Not your typical rolls either. When I uncovered them, my eyes lit up! Miniature pecan rolls, corn bread, slices of banana bread, and whole wheat rolls. Of course I had to try one of each. (little piggy) The main course was butternut squash ravioli and it was wonderful. For dessert Diane and I had Indian bread pudding with vanilla ice cream and Tina had apple pie (to go - smart girl).
We've decided that we're going to meet in New York City this summer and then in September both Tina and Diane are coming to my house to help me with freezing corn and green beans and canning tomatoes. I am so excited. I love it when friends come to visit. Thanks Tina and Diane for such an exciting memorable evening together. Too bad we live so far away.

It was so nice to see signs of spring.

The cakes looked beautiful.

I wanted to try one of everything!

An open hearth fireplace in the dining room.

Diane, Me, and Tina

8 comments:

Lori said...

It looks like a great place to eat. The desserts look yummy. (as francie would say)

MOM, I don't know if you should be meeting up with strangers you met on the internet, don't you know that could be dangerous? And now your inviting them over to your house!

Tina I'm just kidding, but she would say the same to us, actually I think she did when she found out Rachael met up with Tamera in Moscow. So I am giving her a taste of her own medicine.

Tina in CT said...

Diane, your mom and I had such a wonderful evening and the hours flew by. We talked and talked, ate a delicious dinner and looked at pictures.

Can you believe that your mom would have asked Diane to bring one of her bunny babies to bring back to NY if she'd known Diane had two?

The inne and restaurant are from colonial days and it's huge and so New England. I thought it was the ideal place to meet after seeing pictures of your mom and Bob's house and all their gorgeous antiques and decorating style.

Unfortunately we had to say goodbye and each be on our way. Diane and I talked about the whole evening on our drive home.

We hope to all meet up at the American Girl Place in NYC this summer when Tamara and the girls are at my house visiting from Moscow (Rachel's suggestion). Hopefully Rachel and family will be in NY at your mom's at the same time so it'll work out. Diane would come too and bring the 7 year old from the family (my former boss) that she nannies for. Tamara and the girls know the family so it'd be a fun day in the Big City.

Your mom brought the 4 x 6 photo album of Anthony and we oooed and ahhed over him.

Shannon said...

Sounds really fun. I am glad you were all able to meet each other. Now, we just have to get Tina and Dianne to start blogging too. It is so neat to put a face on the infamous Tina in CT.

Grandma Annie's dog had 6 puppies Friday evening. Dosen't she have Doxies? We'll have to find out. Especially, if Tina is looking for one. It would be the perfect size and age to bring home with you if you go to OK this spring/summer when the girls are going.

Glad you had a good time. I'll come over in the summer when they are here in NY because I would like to meet her too.

Thanks for blogging so soon. I saw you had to get up early to get it done. We have all been excited to hear how much fun you had.

Rachael said...

Oh no...you've already got the summer bash planned. You guys are too funny and too much. Glad you hit it off and had a nice time.

Tamara and I hit it off in Moscow too. What was meant to be just dinner together turned into a really memorable near week of doing fun stuff together with the girls. It would be really nice to see Tamara and Katya and Natalia again, and to meet Tina.

I should post the picture of the three girls together in Moscow.

Tina in CT said...

Wow, I'd love to have a family dachshund. Please find out if that is what her dog had. If so, I would pay to have one shipped up to me from OK when she was old enough. I can only have a smooth hair because of my allergies.

Shannon: Your mother, Diane and I had such a good time. We are planning the NYC get together if it works out for Rachel to be at your mother's the same time that Tami and the girls are at my house. Diane, your mother and I were talking about Diane and I visiting her in early Sept.

Rachel: Your mother, Diane and I have it all planned for NYC on a Sunday when Tami is here if you and your family are visiting her at the same time.

The conversation at our table was non-stop for over 4 hours and we hated to leave but had to.

My daughter definitely gets her talking genes from me and not her dad who is a very quiet man. I talk to strangers all the time and so does Tami. Don't worry about that statement as both of us are cautious.

I'd love to meet all of you as I feel like I know the family from reading the blogs and comments.

I sent the horse fabric for Rachel's sewing with Cecelia so more bags can be made for the Etsy store.

MoscowMom said...

So glad you had such a great time!!! Looking forward to the summer! I'll post that picture, Rachael, on my blog now.

Tina in CT said...

Hope you are safely back home.

Tina in CT said...

This is from Diane as I'm on the phone with her:

Diane said that she had the most wonderful time and she talked non-stop for an hour to her husband at 11:30 when she got home Monday night. He loves the maple syrup and grape jam. When she went to her knitting group on Tuesday night, I told them all about you and your house. I was so happy to have met you. You've inspired her for her garden this summer and hopefully we'll be taking a trip up there soon with a bunny and bringing home a dachshund puppy for Tina.