Friday, February 8, 2008

Valentine's Gift Early

Bob gave me my Valentine's gift today and I just love it. Over the past six or seven years, I have really enjoyed having orchids in my home. The flowers last for months and then they bloom again every year. When we moved to New York, I had to ask friends to adopt my house plants. So starting with zero plants in New York, I'm excited when I receive a new plant to use in my house (I'm not a fan of artifical plants or flowers).

This is the new orchid Bob surprised me with today. I've never had one this color. It's just beautiful and it has several buds that will be opening over the next few weeks.

This is the first orchid Bob bought for me after we moved to New York three years ago. It blooms every year at this time. (2005)

This is the orchid I received in 2006. It has six little buds and will be blooming soon.

In 2007 Bob gave me another orchid which is about to bloom again this year. Bob says he likes giving me orchids because he gets a lot of mileage out of them.


Bob made these eight loaves of multi-grain bread today. It smells so good. I think I'll go have a slice with some peach jelly that our friends Bud and Pat gave us last night. Bud enjoys making jelly and jam and we enjoy receiving and eating it.

6 comments:

Rachael said...

I bought myself an orchid about 4 months ago. It didn't make it. I gave it love and water. Not enought light? It was very pretty, I'm kind of sad about it. Do I dare try again??

Warm bread and jam sounds REALLY good right now.

Tina in CT said...

And he even bakes!!!!!

Adoption Blog said...

You have a jewel of a husband!!! He even bakes!!! WAOW!!!

I have a Gem, but unfortunately he has 2 left hands and keeps telling me I am such a better cook than him...(got the message...)

Does Your DH give training classes???

Sas ;-)

Lori said...

I love my orchid that you sent me, it was pretty for a few weeks, then the flowers fell off, and the tip of the stem where the flowers were turned black, is that normal?? The leaves are still healthy looking and I keep watering it, but I am wondering if the black tip is a sign of impending doom for it.

Cecelia said...

Rachael, the orchids aren't too difficult to take care of, but they do need light and we put the pot on top of rocks that are in a shallow bowl and fill it with water so there is humidity for them. I'm almost embarrassed to tell you that Bob also takes care of the plants. Probably why they grow so well.

Yes, Tina, Bob bakes too. His specialty is pies. But he usually makes bread three or four times a month and eight loaves each time. Tomorrow morning he will make another eight loaves for the cooking class tomorrow evening.

Sas, I really do have a wonderful husband.

Lori, You will need to talk to Bob about your orchid. I'm disappointed that the flowers only lasted two weeks. They should have lasted a month or longer.

Tina in CT said...

Loved the comments about the TV and the Arc. Really cute.

You are lucky that some of your children and grandchildren live close by so they can come over for the evening. Moscow is just too far for mine to stop over.

I read your comments to Lori about orchid care. I "inherited" one at the office and will do that with mine. When I water it, it can only take very little as it runs right through the matter the plant sits in.

Tell us about your cooking class in your blog.