Friday, February 22, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me

I celebrated my birthday away from home at a retreat. Well, kinda. It was a retreat, but it was a working retreat for me. My boss made sure that I received the best accommodations in the hotel, the executive suite. Bob thought it was great! He liked sharing the nicest room in the hotel even if it was for me. The pastors all signed a birthday card and wrote notes of appreciation and birthday wishes for me. My boss insisted that I make the announcements before lunch, which I informed him that he could do all by himself. After I made the announcements, he embarrassed me by having the pastors sing happy birthday and presenting me with a gift and card. I was keeping my birthday quiet and hoping no one knew. I certainly wasn't telling. My secret wasn't as secret as I had hoped. And then my boss told everyone that I was 30. I had to correct him with, no, I'm 29.

Five of my children called me to wish me a happy birthday and one did it in person. It really was a special day for me. When we returned home, I had several presents waiting in the mailbox, on the porch, and a note from the post office that they were holding a box for me to pick-up.

I think this birthday must be the year of the purse, because I received three purses. I love them all!!! I like purses just as much as I do shoes. I say you can't have too many of either!!




Rachael made this purse for me which I can hardly believe. It looks like it would be very complicated. It's perfect. I showed the ladies at work and they were amazed. The associate superintendent of schools wants to order one. She wants a different lining, because she doesn't want it to be exactly like mine. And, she wants the handles longer so she can carry it over her shoulder. She was especially excited to find out that her purchase will help provide gifts for children in the orphanage in Russia.



A ribbon and clip stitched into the lining holds a matching wristlet that is perfect for my camera and cell phone.




Francie gave me this patch-work quilted looking purse that will be just perfect for spring. She tucked these cute "Mary Jane" slipper socks inside and a much needed white long-sleeved knit shirt. I have some brown sandles that will look great with this purse.

My friend, Yvonne, gave me this beautiful crocheted purse. It will be perfect for dressier occassions.

Like I said, purses and shoes are a must have!! And, Shannon, the shoe queen, gave me these casual slip-on's that will be perfect to wear when I go shopping! They are so comfortable. I really wish I could wear them now, but there is six inches of snow outside with 6-8 inches more expected to fall tonight.


Lori sent me an album with pictures of Anthony - birth through three months and an invitation to come and visit which I think I will take her up on real soon!


These are beautiful white ceramic candle holders that my friends, Dore and Dore sent me. They also sent me a box of candy which I took to work (they're delicious!!) The box is so cute, I'm going to leave it on my credenza and refill it. I'm afraid the candy won't be as good as the original though. Dore has never forgotten my birthday since we've known each other. I remember the first year we had moved from California to New York, and I received a package from her with fresh live blooming daffodils and hyacinths. She wanted me to have a little early spring since I was spending my first winter in New York. She is so good to me. Dore's mom's name is Dore, too, and she and I spent many days together in front of the fireplace visiting, napping, and playing with the dog and cat while her daughter, Dore worked. Now her daughter is having all the fun!!

Dore and Dore

Bob gave me another beautiful orchid which is perfect on the wash-stand in the upstairs bathroom.

Bob also gave me this beautiful crystal candy dish. But he forgot the candy!

I was seven months old in this picture. My aunt Kate made the little dress and bonnet for me. I think that Grace and I look similar in this picture.

My aunt Kate holding me when I was three months old. This picture was taken in front of the old house where we lived in Oklahoma City.

I'm eating my breakfast in the kitchen of the old house. I think Shannon and I look alike in this picture at this age.

I think I was two years old in this picture. My aunt Kate made the little dress for me and she always made a matching dress for my doll. I think Ben and I look a little bit alike in this picture.

This is a picture of my mom and my new baby brother. I'm three and a half years old.

God had truly blessed my life with family and friends that make life special in every way.

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Well, I'm glad you did the pictures! You really do look like Ben in that one (or the other way around, I guess).

Glad you like the purse!

Tina in CT said...

Good that I went back as you must have just tucked the newest blog in about your birthday.

What a special one you had.

Some of the pictures did not appear as I scrolled down through your birthday blog.

You received beautiful presents.

Shannon said...

I think Gracie looks alot like you in that one picture. I've always thought I look the most like you. At least I know what I will look like when I get to be 29. Glad you had a nice birthday.

Lori said...

Glad you made out well in the gift department.
Sounds like a pretty good birthday, even though you had to work. I always take mine off. There just seems something very wrong about having to work on your birthday.
I agree shannon looks the most like you.

~ V ~ said...

Glad you had a wonderful birthday. I hope our card finally made it there. Did you get the silly phone messages from J? He claims that is the first time he's ever left phone messages.

Natalie said...

you got some really cute gifts for your birthday. I hope you had a good day that day and every day until the next birthday. I love those pictures, you were a cute little girl!