Sunday, February 10, 2008

Canceled

At the Roosevelt Church, Bob and I help with a cooking class the second Sunday evening of each month. I did the shopping for the ingredients on Friday and we were both up "bright and early" today to start cooking and preparing the demo ingredients. I was excited about today's class because I had asked my bosses' wife to help with some of the recipes for the class and she had accepted the invitation. We were featuring Mexican food at the class and my bosses' wife is a great cook and shared four of her favorite recipes. We had also scheduled a guest speaker to come and speak about the heart.
The morning started out quite well with Bob making our breakfast of pancakes and thickened blueberries and our own maple syrup.

After our breakfast we got busy working on the cooking class recipes. Bob made eight loaves of bread for the give-away-drawing. I made the Five Can Casserole recipe and prepared the demo ingredients and then I prepared the Fajita recipe cutting onions and yellow, green, and red peppers and making the seasoning. I was in the process of putting everything into boxes and remembered that I needed index cards and small envelopes for the class so I ran upstairs to my office to get them. Then the telephone rang. The guest speaker was canceling. The weather was white-out conditions where she lived and she wasn't going to venture out in it. I called a doctor that is a member in one of our other churches asking if he could do a talk tonight. He said he would try to put something together. He wouldn't make it for the dinner but would be there in time for the lecture. Whew! I continued my packing of stuff to take to the class. Then, the telephone rang again. My bosses' wife wasn't going to be able to come because of the white-out conditions where she lived. That meant half of the food wouldn't be there. After checking on the computer for the weather conditions this evening, Bob decided that the class should be canceled. So I quickly called the "last minute" doctor that was working on a presentation to let him know of the cancelation. Then registered guests were called to let them know also. Now what to do with all this food? Bob and I had fajitas for lunch, but there is enough for the rest of the week not to mention the five can casserole. We decided that we could freeze the casserole, but I think I'm going to be tired of eating fajitas when Friday comes.

This is picture of what we have at our house and we live in the snow belt! While the others seem to be having blizzard conditions we have sunshine and blue skies. We are suppose to get one to two feet of snow between 2:00 p.m. today and 5:00 p.m. tomorrow. I hope it snows a lot!!! We haven't had much snow all winter. Last year at this time, we had several feet of snow.

Bob and I decided to make a couple of apple pies this afternoon. So I cut the apples and Bob made the crust. White he seasoned and cooked the apples, I used the left-over pie crust and made cinnamon twirl cookies.

Two pie pans ready for the filling.

Filling almost ready.


Cinnamon twirls rolled and ready to be cut.


Cinnamon twirls ready to go into the oven.

Two apple pies and cinnamon twirl cookies just waiting . . .


We have friends coming this evening to spend a couple of days with us. I hope they like fajitas and apple pie. If not, we can always pull out the five can casserole and the homemade bread.

9 comments:

Rachael said...

The weather here today is terrible. REALLY REALLY cold and windy with lots of blowing snow and icy roads. I had to venture out to make rounds at the hospital. The kids are crossing their fingers for a snow day tomorrow.

5 can casserole is an awesome recipe. But, I'm surprised you were going to combine it with a talk on heart health. All that sodium in that canned stuff and then the cholesterol in the cheese! Just the name "5 can casserole" makes me think of plugged arteries and high blood pressure. I always thought you should call it something else! :)

Rachael said...

P.S. When I make it, I call it "Mexican Lasagne". (Even though everyone knows it's really 5-can!)

Tina in CT said...

OK, I'm curious. What is 5 can casserole?

Since you are getting company, you have some meals all prepared. With all the baking that goes on in your house, how do you and Bob maintain your weight? I'd be a huge blimp.

Wow, you sure are having a lot of snow in your area. Today it turned bitter cold with periods of sun, then snow and winds and it was so good to be inside with the dog.

Shannon said...

That Tina is too funny!

I just knew I should have ventured out today and visited with you. I bet they cancel school tommorow because of the frigid temps. If they do, I might stop by. So long as the snow isn't blowing all over the place.

Rachael is right. I tend to make up a name for what we KNOW is really 5 can casserole... I just don't like telling people the name. It sure is good though.

Lori said...

It really isn't snowing much, but the wind is blowing so we'll probably have huge snow drifts by morning. I'm glad I don't have to work again anytime soon, I had a terrible time driving home this morning from work.

Lori said...

Oh I forgot to say, I wish I could help you eat up that food, it sounds yummy. Esp the apple pie.

Tina in CT said...

How much snow did you all get? We only had about an inch here in CT but it's getting colder and colder and is also windy. I wish I didn't have to venture out but have to go to the Transition Center. Since I am job hunting, I have to get there. My team all had their jobs eliminated 3 1/2 weeks ago. Not pleasant and this is the third time in a row that it's happened to me. So goes corporate America. People that have been with the company a long time and have been highly respected are in the same boat.

junglemama said...

Everything looks so yummy!

Natalie said...

mom what happened to you? a couple years ago you and Bob were Californians with winter tans and now your wanting MORE snow? I thought you hated the snow!