Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Happy Birthday Ryan


I still remember the day, Ryan. It was a Tuesday afternoon. I knew I would need to go to the hospital soon, but I wanted to wait until after the 5:00 p.m. rush hour. I called Grandma Annie to let her know what was going on, and then decided to take a shower. Your dad was busy playing with Rachael who was only 11 1/2 months old. He was determined to teach her how to crawl. But, the only thing he did was wear out the knees on his jeans. She just wasn't interested. My plans to wait until after the 5:00 traffic didn't exactly work out. If I had waited there would have been no need to go to the hospital. You were born a few minutes before 5:00 p.m. You were a beautiful little baby boy weighing in at 9 pounds 4 ounces with thick red hair. We were all surprised to see the red hair. We later learned that your great-grandma Hardesty (grandma Nan's mother) had beautiful red hair in her younger days as well as your great-grandma (grandma Annie's mother) who had auburn colored hair.

The only name we had picked out was for a boy. We both liked the name Ryan, but we just couldn't think of a middle name that sounded good with Ryan being the first name. We finally agreed that your name would be Michael Ryan, but you would be called Ryan.
You were such a good little baby. You would sleep a lot, and when you cried, you usually just wanted your bottle. Your older sister, Rachael, loved you. She would sit next to me in the harvest gold rocking chair and help me hold your bottle. When I would ask her to hold the bottle while I burped you, she would finish drinking the milk in your bottle. It was so much fun have the two of you so close in age.

You and Rachael sitting on your dad's tool box.


You were very proud of your new birthday cowboy boots.

You and Rachael playing in the rain.

The next few years added four little sisters. I never remember you once saying you wish you had a brother. And I always told you you were my favorite son! However, sometimes you wouldn't think it so funny when you would question a rule of mine and my answer would be when you get to be the mother you can make the rules. You would just smile and shake your head.

You enjoyed taking things apart to see how they worked. I remember one time when Shannon got locked in the bathroom and you and Rachael sat on the floor and watched as I took the door knob off to get the door open. I believe you were four years old at the time, and the next evening when I came home from work, you had removed every door knob in the house except for the front door. We lived in the house without door knobs for years until we placed the house on the market to sell and the realtor suggested that it might sell better if the doors had knobs.
Entertaining your sisters.

Just having fun exploring.
Shannon, Ryan, and Lori


Ryan and Natalie making homemade ice cream.
Ryan, his five sisters and their great grandfather.
Relaxing with sisters, Shannon and Francie Sisters Rachael and Shannon share in Ryan's excitement at his high school graduation.
Ryan met his beautiful bride in high school.

Ryan walking me down the aisle when I married Bob.

Ryan and Bob working together on Ryan's house.
Ryan and his little girl, Hannah.
Ryan has another little girl, Gracie
(I can't find a picture right now, I'll
add it later)
Ryan's two little boys, Matt and Little Ryan
Ryan, I'm so proud to be your mom. Life was never boring when you were growing up. There were times I felt like the lady in a glass shoe, who had so many kids she didn't know what to do. You were all filled with mischief, but you never did any harm. The house was filled with laughter. You all liked to play and kid around. You have made me very proud. You are a wonderful son, brother, husband, and dad. Thank you for all the joy, laughter, and love you have given to me. I love you, mom

4 comments:

Lori said...

I love seeing all the pictures. How do you get the old ones onto the computer?
The one of me, Shannon and Ryan - I can't tell which one is me and which one is Shannon.
Such a sweet post, I hope Ryan gets to read it. If so, Happy Birthday Ryan!

Rachael said...

That was very sweet. Love the pictures too.

Francie said...

Those pictures are so cute! I tried calling him on his b-day but it was busy all night and then I tried again later and it kept ringing...
I remember when he used a permanent marker on my face! I wasn't even mad at him, but I scrubbed for a long time!
I also remember cleaning him room all the time and not making him pay, but then making Lori pay me $1.00 each time I cleaned hers... it was our little secret!
I don't think he was spoiled, being the only boy, but maybe us girls were, to have a brother like that. We are really lucky!

Cecelia said...

Lori, you are the one with the white shirt. Yo have longer doggie ears.

It took me so long to decide on the pictures. I must have picked out seventy-five pictures. And just kept narrowing them down. So many cute ones. In all the pictures he is surrounded by his sisters.