Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Other Kids

Punkin Doodles, my favorite black dog.

Lola, my favorite white dog.

Today Bob made a fast trip home to check on the dogs, the house, the garden, and to hand-out literature in the neighborhood of the Roosevelt Church.

We have the sweetest, most adorable, and most loved dogs in upstate New York. I'm sure they are very lonely because they have been home alone for almost two weeks now. Bob reported to me that when he drove in the driveway today, Lola was sitting on the front porch just looking around. I think she was watching for us to return. Both Punkin and Lola came running to be petted and made whining noises to tell him what had been going on while we have been away.

During the summer, we take their dog houses off the side porch and put them out in the back. I like to have chairs on the porch to sit on during the summer, and the dogs don't seem to mind laying under the porch where it is much cooler. But, before we left for Rochester, I had Bob put their houses back on the porch and put a blanket in each one, just in case the weather turned cold.

Punkin and Lola are really smart too! They know that they cannot go into the garden or in the street. They will follow us out to the garden and lay down on the edge of the grass next to the garden and watch while we work. However, today when Bob went home, Punkin had been naughty. She had gone into the garden and helped herself to fresh corn. She loves fresh raw corn on the cob. And, she didn't even hide the evidence. Bob had to have a little talk with Punkin, and she laid her ears back and her tail drooped. She knew she had been disobedient. There was no evidence that Lola had been naughty.

While we are away, Tony, my cousin, comes over and feeds the "kids". He'll sit on the porch and read the paper and visit with the "kids". They enjoy each others company.

Lola is the watch dog and Punkin is the enforcer. They are such good friends. We are so blessed to have such loving pets. I call them the kids and I miss them so much!! I'm looking forward to going home on Sunday, so I can see my "kids".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, I miss my punkin!

Lori said...

They are sweet dogs. And to think you didn't want Lola at first!
So it sounds like Punkin learned her lesson this summer when she was in the road and got hit by a car. I'm glad she's okay, it would have been a real tragedy for Lola to lose her best friend.

Maybe Tony gave Punkin the corn.

Anonymous said...

Hi Grandma. I thought I was your girl.

I'm glad you're taking good care of my Lola though!

Rachael said...

Lola actually looks pretty "white" in that picture. Did you give her a bath?

Aren't you glad Lola came to "visit" you that Christmas?

Calvin says hi to his daughter.

Cecelia said...

Kristen, you are my girl. We are best buddies!! When shall we go do a trip together? Let's plan one soon. Or, maybe we'll have to wait until you are on spring break or summer vacation.

Love,

Grandma

Cecelia said...

Lori, I don't think Tony gave punkin the corn. Bob said the whole stalk was in the front yard with the cobs.

Cecelia said...

Rachael, No, we haven't given Lola a bath. She just looks clean. She is so sweet. We are so glad we have Lola. And, Punkin is too!!

Shannon said...

If I was Punkin, I would of hid the incriminating evidence and blamed it on Tony. He tends to be onry enough to make the story believable.

Hi Tony!