Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Bob's Dilemma My Delight

After being out of the office for two weeks, I was quite busy answering e-mails, returning phone messages, and opening mail. And before I knew it, my day at work was over. I received a phone call from Bob just about an hour before I was to leave the office. He wanted me to come straight home without making any stops at stores, etc. And then he told me the short version of his day.


He had gone to Ryan and Lisa's house to pick-up the "Genie", but he couldn't get it started. He fiddled and fiddled with it, but with no success. Lisa suggested that he leave the truck and trailer and take her van home. She thought that Ryan and Little Ryan could get the "Genie" going that evening, load it and bring it home. Bob was needing to get back home, so he accepted her suggestion and left the truck, trailer, and keys with Lisa and drove her van home. When he arrived home, there was a BIG problem. The garage door opener was in the truck, the keys to the house were on the ring of keys he had left with Lisa, and there wasn't one window unlocked. He managed to get through the day in his "home work clothes", but he didn't want to press his luck and show up at the church board meeting in them. He needed me home as soon as possible so he could get in the house, change his clothes and get to his meeting.

When I arrived home, Bob quickly went in and changed his clothes and was off to the board meeting. I took a deep breath, looked around my kitchen and dining room, and wished I wasn't seeing what I was seeing. There were banana boxes everywhere filled with leftover non-perishable food items, cooking utensils, serving platters, etc. from the cooking school. I knew my evening was going to be very busy. So I got busy putting all the "stuff" away. We still don't have a working home telephone, so I had my cell phone on the dining room table. However, it is on vibrate (I don't know how that happened, and I don't know how to get it off vibrate), so it is difficult for me to realize the phone is needing to be answered, because I can't hear it. I did, however, hear a little humming noise and realized it was my cell phone. I quickly answered it. Lisa was calling me to let me know that Ryan and the kids were on their way. She said that Ryan had all the kids with him plus James (Lisa's little 12 year old brother).


It took Ryan about an hour and a half to get to our house. He had to go really slow. I was so thankful that he had made it safely. The "Genie" is a big piece of equipment and is a little heavier than what the truck should be pulling.


With my kitchen all cleaned-up I was ready and waiting for the grand kids arrival! They all came running into the house and I grabbed each one as they reached the door giving them a hug and kiss. They are all so sweet. The bowl of nuts is always a popular item when the grand kids come to visit and tonight was no exception. Little Ryan found the platter of homemade cinnamon twirl cookies (his favorite) and began eating. Little Hannah and Gracie love to drink soy milk, and Hannah wanted a drink of chocolate soy milk. Little Gracie was so happy with Grandma holding her. Oh, how I enjoyed having the kids come and visit, even if it was for just a short time.


When it was time for them to leave it took a while to get all the kids loaded and it was so sad to see little Gracie crying (she even had real tear drops) because she didn't want to leave grandma. I almost told Ryan to leave her with me, I would just take her to work with me. But I knew I couldn't.


I know I shouldn't be happy about Bob's bad day, but Bob's bad day made my day EXTRA SPECIAL!! I love being a grandma.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Very sweet mom, you must be excited about coming out to Michigan to play grandma and mom for a week out here.
Were all excited your coming!
What's a genie?

Rachael said...

I'm with Lori, what's a "genie"?

So Bob just hung out around the house and found things outside to occupy himself since he was locked out?