Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Cat

Bob and I are in Rochester for the next two weeks helping with evangelistic meetings. We are staying in a motel that doesn't qualify for any type of star ratings. All of the pastors are staying in this motel and I feel quite lucky, because there are only two non-smoking rooms, and we are in one of them. There is no internet access at the motel, so I go to the library once a day to do work and try to keep up on my e-mails and other important stuff like my blog!!

This past Sunday afternoon I also did a cooking class for the Bay Knoll Church. It was great fun! The people loved the food and they were so excited to learn how to make bread. My menu was Mazidra, homemade bread (date nut, cranberry nut, sunflower seed, and multi-grain), fresh strawberry spread, and carob rice crispy treats.

I was working in my motel room today and decided to take advantage of the clean smelling rain outside. I propped open my door and continued working. A black and white cat came to the door and started meowing. I quickly got up to shut the door, but before it shut, the cat got in and ran under the bed. I tried to get it out, but it would just meow and cry like it was hurt. As I continued trying to get it out of the room, it would run from corner to corner trying to hide from me, but still crying and meowing. I called the front desk, which also serves as the local bar, and told the lady that a cat was in my room and that I needed some help getting it out. The lady was so excited. She came running to my room. "We have been looking all over for this cat!" She wrapped the wet cat in a towel and left.

It was a pretty little black and white cat and I'm so thankful that I was able to help this cat find its owner.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Mom, you're like Calamity Jane or something.

The food sounds good. Except maybe the carob dessert. I need to have chocolate.

Francie said...

Carob rice crispy treats? Are you serious?!!
I, too, need chocolate...
Just be careful, Mom, the next thing you'll be telling us is that you're making mac'n'cheese with cashews!!!!
Ha-ha!
(btw, I love you!)

Anonymous said...

I came across your website when looking for some menu plan ideas for a new cookbook I am writing. I found it so interesting and new from the beginning you had to be a Christian! As I read through, I couldnt help but wonder if you were an Adventist! Then I came across the information and pictures of your trip and in regards to the White family, etc. I am a Seventh-day Adventist, and thought I had to drop a line and say "hello"! I am from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Perhaps you have heard about the CHIP program...I am the author of the CHIP cookbook...SO, in saying this, your carob dessert sounded delicious, and I have to say "Mac and Cheese" with cashews can be surprisingly delicious!!!!
Darlene
rdblaney@telus.net