Sunday, September 23, 2007

More Good News Bad News

Our garden in winding down and I'm kinda glad. I'm tired of all the freezing and canning. However, my cousin Tony planted his garden late and he is just now harvesting the produce. When I got home from work last Thursday, there were three washtubs full of tomatoes, a bucket full of eggplant and another bucket full of scallions, produce from Tony's garden. I shared some of the produce with Shannon and Lisa, and started eating. On Sunday, I went out to the back porch, and I just couldn't bare the thought of eventually throwing those tomatoes away, so I thought I would just can them for Tony. He is always so kind to take care of our house, dogs, and fish when we are out of town, so I thought I would surprise him with canned tomatoes.
I carried the very heavy washtub into the house and sat it down in the middle of the room between the stove and the sink. I had a large pot in the sink filling with water. I turned off the water and grabbed the pot of water with both hands and twirled around quickly to put it on the stove, except I forgot about the washtub full of tomatoes I had just placed in the floor and fell over the washtub. The water in the pot went all over the stove and counter top and my telephone received an unprepared baptism. I ended up on the floor with the remainder of the water landing on me, topped with the pot! What a mess!!

Now the telephone won't work. Bob thought if he dried it out, it might work again. So, he put the telephone in the warming oven overnight. Nope, it still doesn't work.

The good news is I have a very clean kitchen counter, stove, and floor. And, Tony has 9 quarts of tomatoes and I don't have any broken bones!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

OUCH. That's sounds painful.

So, I guess if we need to call you, we should call your cell?

Lori said...

My phone got wet this summer at the pool and it never worked again. You will very likely just have to get a new phone.
I know what you mean about being glad the garden is winding down, I too am glad the farm season is over, but I am missing all the fresh produce, especially the tomatoes. Nothing better than a sliced fresh tomatoe with a little salt.