Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I was in Grandma Heaven!

When I arrived home from work yesterday evening, I was greeted by four smiling dirty little faces, lots of hugs and kisses, and a quick goodbye from Bob as he rushed out the door hoping to meet his evening appointment on time. Lisa and the kids had come up for the day to freeze corn and green beans and I was delighted to find them still there when I arrived home.

It had been a rainy day so the girls had been cooped up in the house. The boys, however, had been picking the corn (yes, in the rain) and husking it all day. My 'everything in its place home' had been transformed to look like four little children lived there. It was great! It brought back many fond memories of when my children were all at home and all the fun times we had together in a 'not everything in its place home'!

Baby Grace is toddling around now and she is just precious. I was her favorite person last night and enjoyed every minute of it. I can still hold a little one on my hip and go through all the necessary steps to freeze corn including a few fancy steps to miss falling over the bundt pans, wooden spoons, and rolling pins that the girls had been playing with and a few concord grapes that had managed to find the floor during supper.

Hannah was quite sure that it would be O.K. for her to spend the night at grandma's house because she had brought her pajamas, just in case.

Hannah, "Ma-maw, it's been a long time since I have spent the night at your house."

Me, "Another time when ma-maw doesn't have to go to work."

Hannah, "O.K. ma-maw, another time."

Oh, how I wish she could have stayed.

With it still raining, Lisa had little Ryan drive the van into the garage so we could load everything without getting soaking wet. Earlier in the day, Lisa, grandpa, and the kids had gone and bought peaches and apples, so the van had three bushels of apples and a bushel of peaches. Then we added three big ice chests full of corn and green beans ready to put in the freezer, some potatoes and onions from the garden, 24 ears of fresh corn, two little girls, two little boys and a very tired momma. Now they were on their way home.

As I shut the garage door and walked back into the house, I just thought about all the blessings I had just received and asked the Lord to keep them safe as they traveled home.

6 comments:

Lori said...

Our house was always such a mess growing up (according to you) that I now find it surprising that your house is always so clean now.
Growing up I never really thought it was us kids who made it messy. I knew we contributed, but certainly never thought we were to blame.
I guess when our housekeeper quit because we came home from school and messed up the house before she was even finished cleaning, should have been a clue.

Rachael said...

Is Lisa able to read your blog?

Cecelia said...

Rachael,

Lisa has a computer but her connection is really slow, so she doesn't use it too much. When she was at my house she used my computer and caught up on all the family blog news.

Oh, I hope I didn't paint a picture that isn't fact. The house wasn't a mess. The kids were just playing with toys and having fun.

Cecelia said...

Lori,

Our house wasn't a mess, it was just lived in!

Lori said...

I knew what you meant, I was teasing you about the house. I knew you would have something to say about my comment.

Shannon said...

Well, I think I'm going to remember it being messy, then I wont feel bad about my house not being as clean as yours all the time. I spend more time stressing about the state of my house more then any other thing right now.

Maybe when Madeline is alot older, I will have a cleaner house. It seemed to be easy until she started walking. I can remember the girls making fun of the fact that I scrubbed my house "religiously" every Friday. Secrets out girls... I dont do it like I used to. Now its' lucky if it gets a lick and a promise once a week.