Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Requested Recipes

Gluten Stir-Fry

1 cup vital wheat gluten flour
1 cup water

Mix the flour and water in a bowl until it forms a soft and spongy ball. You don't want it hard and watery.

In a large pot bring 4 cups water, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/2 chopped onion, 1 teaspoon garlic salt and 1/2 teaspoon oil to a boil.

Cut the gluten in small pieces ( I use scissors) and place in the boiling water. Let boil for about 10 minutes uncovered and then reduce the heat and simmer for about 50 minutes. Drain.

(You can save the broth and use for gravy. Use 1 Tablespoon flour for each 1/2 cup of broth to thicken for gravy.)

Dip the gluten in flour and fry in a small amount of oil. As soon as the gluten is browned, add chopped pre-steamed broccoli, pre-steamed carrots, (or whatever vegetables you like in stir-fry). Pour 1/4 cup soy sauce over the gluten and vegetables (these are all in the skillet) and stir to cover, then add 1/3 cup brown sugar and stir to coat the gluten and vegetables. The brown sugar will melt and the gluten and vegetables will appear to have a glaze on them. Serve immediately over brown rice.

The gluten freezes well.





Wild Rice Salad

1 - 6 oz box Long Grain and Wild Rice cooked without the butter and seasonings and cooled (you want this to be cold before adding to the salad)
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped (I usually use more spinach)
1/2 green pepper, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1 cup fry chik, cubed (I like the Morningstar chik strips found in the refrigerator section of the store)
10 cherry tomatoes cut in half
1/4 cup slivered almonds toasted in 2 tablespoons sugar over low heat (stir and almonds and sugar over medium heat - the sugar will begin to melt and coat the almonds - remove from heat and the skillet when done because you don't want the nuts to scorch and you might want to make extra to snack on while you make the salad, the coated nuts are really good!)

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss with Poppy Seed Sweet and Tangy Dressing. If you can't find the poppy seed sweet and tangy dressing, just use poppy seed dressing and add a little sugar and lemon juice.

10 comments:

Lori said...

Sounds good, maybe I will make the wild rice salad this weekend.
I save the gluten for when you come visit.

Rachael said...

I've made that rice salad multiple times this summer, although I've been making it without a recipe, so it's sort of become a variation of yours!

I'm with Lori. I LOVE the gluten, but I never make it. Too much work. I'll happily eat it though if you make some for me!

Bonnie said...

Thanks so much, Cecelia. I made the stir-fry last night and it was delicious! The gluten turned out much better than when I've made it before. I guess you just need the right recipe!

Cecelia said...

Bonnie,

So glad you tried the recipe and it turned out good. It is one of my favorites. In fact, I made it today for the Pastoral Advisory lunch.

Shannon said...

We have to make a a dish for school that describes our cultural background. should I do the wild rice salad or cheesy grits caserole? just kidding.

Really though, is the wild rice salad american?

Anonymous said...

Opulently I to but I think the collection should prepare more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Bravo, what phrase..., a brilliant idea

Anonymous said...

I wish not concur on it. I over nice post. Expressly the designation attracted me to study the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I agree but I contemplate the brief should acquire more info then it has.