Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Loved or Spoiled?

Last night when I got home, all I wanted to do was sit down and relax for a little while and then start working on my office (I've been trying to organize and decorate my home office for three months). But when I drove in the driveway, I saw Bob's truck and glanced towards the garden and there he was picking green beans.


As I entered the "mud room", there sat two five gallon buckets full of green beans that he had already picked. So I knew I would be freezing green beans for the next several hours. What I didn't know was that there was a half bushel of pears waiting for me on the kitchen counter, which I quickly discovered upon entering the kitchen, meaning I would also be canning pears.

I quickly went upstairs to change my clothes and put on my canning and freezing apparel. Upon returning to the kitchen, Bob was there to greet me with a big smile and comment, "We've got three five gallon buckets full of green beans!" I was speechless!! We spent the evening freezing green beans and canning pears.



Bob called me at work today to let me know that he won't be home this evening but he's going to be picking up more pears for us to can this week. Six quarts just isn't enough!! He also let me know that Lisa and the children were at the house helping freeze green beans and corn. It is so thoughtful of Lisa to come and help and I'm so thankful that she did. I sure hope they are still there when I get home.




Just a few weeks ago, Matthew went with us to Camp Cherokee for pastors' retreat. We enjoyed having him with us. And, Matthew surprised me with a very special gift. A quilt he made last school year. He spent several hours a week working with the Dorcas ladies during his lunch break at school stitching by hand this beautiful quilt. He had put it away trying to decide who he would give it to. This is truly a gift of love that I will treasure forever. I have it displayed in my office at work and look forward to using it this winter when I get chilled.




I have other gifts of love that my children and grandchildren have given me which are also very cherished, some of which are displayed in my office.


My husband prepares the soil, plants the seeds, waters the garden, pulls the weeds, picks the produce and helps me freeze the vegetables and I get all the ooh's and aah's from everyone that eats them.

And, my children and grandchildren shower me with gifts and love.

So I ask you, am I spoiled or loved?




4 comments:

Rachael said...

I say both.

You are on a blogging roll!

Rachael said...

...and a canning and freezing roll too!

Lori said...

Actually I'll be the one spoiled when you bring me some of those green beans and corn and I didn't have to any of the work!
Of course you know I would love to help if I lived close by.

Shannon said...

You deserve both! I cannot believe how sweet that Matt-Matt boy is. He is something.