Monday, September 10, 2007

Cooking Class Success and More!

Yesterday I spent the day preparing for the Roosevelt Cooking Class which took place in the evening. Bob helped by making sixteen loaves of bread in the morning. We are sure thankful for our new Bosch that Rachael and Derrick and Lori and Todd gave us about a year ago. We use it at least once a week.


My menu was wild rice salad, stir fry gluten, green beans, corn, bread, and peanut butter pie.

The evaluations from those attending was great!! Their top favorite was the wild rice salad followed by the stir fry gluten. There were 46 people attending. That is a lot of people for that little church. Some of the people had to park on the side of the road because the parking lot was full.
Bob had to go out in the garden and pick corn, green beans, tomatoes, and pumpkins for the class.

When I told the people that I had frozen 100 quarts of green beans and the same amount of corn and will be doing more this week, they wanted to know how two people could use so much? I told them that Bob planted extra corn and green beans so we could freeze some for our children in Michigan. Several asked if they could be adopted.
I plan on taking the frozen food to all my children in Michigan this November.
The Lord has blessed us with an abundance of produce this summer and we are so thankful that we are able to share it with our children and grandchildren.
Our children in New York have been enjoying the produce all summer. Shannon has come over to help with the freezing and canning this summer and it has been a lot of fun to have her help and to have Madeline running around having fun and helping grandpa in the garden. I wish all my children could come and visit more often.
And, I'm so sorry that my California children haven't had any produce from our garden and I don't know how to get them any. They're just too far for transporting frozen food. Maybe they will come and visit and we can enjoy it together in New York!!

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Wow, I can't believe you actually posted AND put up pictures!!! I'm impressed.

The food sounds great. I love that wild rice salad too, but I never make gluten because it's too hard. I wait until you come visit to get to eat it!

We will take all the corn and green beans you can fit in a cooler and bring us -- we love to have it, especially now that I have my deep-freeze, so I'm very glad you had a good crop this year and that we get to reap the benefits.

Lori and I are making spagetti sauce today, so maybe we can broker a trade!

Anonymous said...

I want some of those tomatoes!! They look really good. I think your a good writer mom, keep it up.

Lori said...

Rachael and I have been making spaghetti sauce all day, what a chore, maybe we will give you some in exchange for your vegetables you've been freezing for us.
I also agree with her about the gluten, a lot of work, but very good.

Bonnie said...

Cecilia, are you posting the recipes for the wild rice salad and the gluten stir-fry?

Bonnie

Cecelia said...

Bonnie,

I will post the recipes tomorrow. Good to hear from you. Do you have a blog?