Sunday, September 16, 2007

Grapes! Grapes! Grapes!

Bob and I picked 230 pounds of grapes on Friday. Now, Sunday morning, we have to begin processing the grapes into juice.


We had to wash the grapes and remove the grapes from the stems. We were told that you can just put the stems and grapes all in the steamer, but, I was afraid that the stem might give the juice a bitter taste. So, I took all the grapes off the stems.
Shannon and Madeline helped too!


Bob was in charge of the processing. We were very thankful for our new (to us) commercial stove and oven which we have in our mud room. It kept the biggest mess out of my kitchen.




Shannon and Madeline came over around noon to help with the grapes. So we decided to roast hot dogs and grill corn for lunch. As you can see, we forgot to keep an eye on the corn.


Too, busy checking out the garden.


So we had to go and pick some more corn.


And try again.


This time it turned out perfect.

After lunch, Shannon helped Bob set-up scaffolding in the barn so he can
repair the collapsed roof damaged from last winter's heavy snowfall.

Shannon was scared, but not as scared as I was and I was standing on the ground.



I don't think it is a good idea for Bob to try and fix this by himself.





We went back to make the grape juice and ended up with 75 quarts of juice.
Madeline helped by labeling '07 on the top of each jar.


After we finished the grape juice, Shannon and I worked on finishing the curtains for her bathroom make-over. She should have pictures for us soon. The curtains are really cute.

Madeline had fun making play-dough cookies too!!


We had a fun time together and a very busy Sunday.

I'm so thankful that God gave me children and grandchildren.
Sharing time together in love and work, and making memories!!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow! When you put it like that, it looks like we got more done in a day then most do in a week. Actually... I just finished the bathroom last night. PHEW! (now the girls will expect pictures).

It was alot of fun and when I see what we can do in a day together, it difinately makes me rethink how stubborn I can be by not living closer. Ha, I'm kina kidding. It was alot of fun though.

Rachael said...

Wow, Mom. You guys are like Laura Ingalls Wilder-style pioneers.

Lori said...

I'm impressed and tired just thinking about your day. Sounds fun but I can't believe you got that much productivity out of Shannon. Even Maddie looks like a hard worker! (Just kidding Shannon)

Francie said...

That's a ton of grapes! How long will it last?
Do you guys grow them at your place, too? I don't remember you mentioning that.
Looks like a lot of work!

Rachael said...

There are several vineyards nearby here and the grapes smell wonderfully now whenever we drive by.

I was just checking if you'd posted anything new...it's almost a week! I had to go back and look at the old stuff!