Monday, October 8, 2007

Antiquing in Rochester

I hope that those of you that read my blog have been missing new updates because I've been missing writing the updates.

Bob and I are in Rochester helping with evangelistic meetings. We're both quite busy. However, we got a little time off yesterday and today and we went antiquing! One of my favorite hobbies! I found all kinds of treasures and Bob let me purchase several of them. I found some really cute "miniatures" for Kristen, Jack, and Katya. I can't decide if I'm going to save them for Christmas or give them to them when I go to visit in November.



One of the items I purchased is a beautiful ivory hand crocheted bedspread. It is in really good condition with just a little discoloration on the edge of a corner which I think I can get out. If not, it won't show because it will be on Bob's side of the bed next to the wall. And, it only cost me $10. I couldn't believe my good fortune.

I found all kinds of furniture I would like to have, especially a beautiful oak dresser and mirror in excellent original condition for only $350. I tried to think of where I could put it, but I just could not justify one more piece of furniture in my house! So I asked Bob if we could buy a bigger house. He just laughed. So I guess I'll just have to leave the dresser for someone else.

We also had a chance to go out and eat lunch both days! This is a real treat for us, because we rarely go out to eat. Sunday we went to eat at an Indian buffet. It was my first time to eat Indian food, and I loved it!! Today, we went to a Thai Restaurant. It was really good too!! We ordered sweet rice and mangoes for dessert and I realized that I haven't made my recipe of sweet rice and mangoes since we left California over three years. I think I'm going to make it the next time I have company for the weekend.

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Wow, I can't believe you like Indian food. That suprises me. Did you get heartburn?

Are you guys STILL in Rochester?

Also, remember when I found my antique oak dresser for about the same price as yours and it was exactly what I was looking for and you said it was too much, but I bought it anyway? Was this one better, or have your expectations changed now that you don't get to go to the auctions in California?

Lori said...

Antiquing sounds fun. I love a good bargain. I too am getting maxed out on furniture though.
I am surprised you ate indian food and Thai food, they are so ethnic. Both are my favorite and I can't get Todd to eat Indian food, and he's not crazy about Thai but he will eat it if I insist.
We should make mango sweet rice when your here in November. That sounds good.
I have missed your blog updates, and your comments on our blogs. Did you hear Nat's mother in law started a blog too? I'll have to send you the link.

Shannon said...

Well, luck is on my side. Since Ryan dosen't read your blog and I live colser then the girls... I'll have to visit soon:0),

I actually make it every now n then, but your's is always better.

Cecelia said...

Rachael, this dresser I saw yesterday is in perfect untouched condition. I would love to have it. It has not been refinished and is in unbelievable condition. It's a little bigger than the one you bought. I now realize that I was just lucky to get cheap prices in California. And, yes, we are still in Rochester until this Sunday. And, no, I didn't get heartburn. I only eat two meals a day and I try not to over eat.

Lori, I'd like to know about the new blog. Let's plan on making the rice when I come in November.

Shannon, we'll be waiting for you to come for the weekend and I'll make sweet sticky rice.

Rachael said...

Too bad you can't buy the dresser and bring it to Michigan. I'm sure I could find a spot for it.

Did you add those pictures in recently? That little guitar is ADORABLE! Kristen will love it. (I'm assuming it's for her?)

Cecelia said...

Rachael,

If you want me to buy the dresser, I could get it to you. Let me know soon if you want me to. And, yes, the little guitar is for Kristen. Don't let her see this blog. I also got some cute things for Katya and Jack. But the pictures didn't turn out very well.