Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday Update


I have been unable to access the internet today until now. All week I have been able to use the internet in mom's room, but today it was unavailable. The nurses checked to find out why I couldn't get online and found out that the service isn't available in ICU. Hum . . . I used it Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Anyway I'm able to use it in the waiting room. I didn't want to leave mom to come out to blog, but all visitors are required to leave ICU from 6:30 to 7:30 am and pm. So here I am.


Francie, Natalie, and Kristen arrived in Oklahoma City early this morning and got a few hours of sleep in the motel before heading over to the hospital. I arrived at 7:30 a.m. and thought mom looked better. The swelling in her face looked better and she was alert and talking a little to me. I fed her breakfast, grits and milk, and she seemed to be having difficulty clearing her throat. The nurse tried to put a suction tube down her throat and mom would have none of that. So a respiratory therapist came and gave her a breathing treatment which helped. The physician assistant came in and changed her bandage and removed the draining tube. Mom's incision is about 4 inches long. The doctor invited us to take a look at the CT scan that was taken yesterday. He said it looked good but once again mentioned his concern about the brusing in the brain. He said that she has about a 50 percent chance of making it, but if he was betting, he would bet on her. Mom ate lunch; tomato soup, milk, and a little cranberry juice. She didn't seem as sleepy today as yesterday. But after lunch she started having tremors on the left side of her face. She is unable to move her left arm or hand and her left hand is quite swollen. The doctor wanted the nurses to help mom get up today and sit in a chair, so shortly after lunch the nurses helped her up and she sat in a chair for a few hours. The tremors seemed to become more severe so the nurse contacted the doctor. They believe it might be seizures and have given her anti-seizure medication. She has been moved back into her bed, but continues having the seizures and is asleep and is not responding to my questions as she did in the past. Because of the seizures she was unable to have supper.
Your continued prayers will be appreciated.

5 comments:

Francie said...

Glad we made it here for Grandma Annie and able to hang out with you today... Everyone, keep praying!

Lori said...

Thanks for the update, FINALLY. Just kidding, I know you guys are busy, but it's so hard not knowing.
I guess the report is better than yesterdays, so that's encouraging.
I'll keep praying for her, she looks so swollen, hardly even recognizable as Gramma Annie.

Julie said...

Our prayers are with you also. Happy Natalie and Francie made it safe and sound. We will pray for God's will to be done and for strength for all you girls.

Rachael said...

That doesn't even look like her in the picture.

Please call if anything changes during the night.

I wondered if you were going to stay there tonight at the hospital. I sent two sweaters for you with Kristen. I hope she remembered to bring them up to you.

Tina in CT said...

The news is better than last night and hopefully she'll go over the 50% mark by morning and able to eat breakfast. The poor woman with the tremors and swelling. Having so many of you there must be encouraging for her.

Glad to hear the MI girls made it safely.

I've thought of you all day and was worried.

Please give Bob my birthday wishes.