Monday, January 12, 2009

Snowmen Cupcakes

Our office celebrates birthdays each month and I was assigned along with two other employees to host the January birthday party. My friend, Cil and I are planning it together and decided to do a winter theme with snowflakes and snowmen. The menu we decided on is homemade chili, mini cornbread muffins, salad, and cupcakes. Cil and I both are making a pot of chili. Cil is making miniature cornbread muffins, and I'm making the cupcakes. I started making the snowmen on Sunday and it took me all day because they had to be made in stages.






This is how it started. Once these dried I add the second and then third section for the snowman.
Then I had to make black icing for the hats. I used chocolate and black food coloring to get the instant black color.

Then I used red and yellow food coloring to make the orange icing for the nose.

Here they are. I let them dry overnight.

I made chocolate cupcakes and iced them with vanilla icing. Then I placed the dried snowman on the cupcake and sprinkled coconut around the edges. (I didn't put coconut on all of them just in case someone doesn't like coconut.)

Here they are all packed and ready to go to work with me tomorrow.


Here is what Cil and I decided to use for the table center-piece. A melted snowman. We'll hot glue coal for the eyes and put a carrot on for the nose and then put a scarf around the neck. Cil make some really cute snowflakes that we'll scatter on the table.

This was a really fun party to plan. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow at the party. Oh, we're using blue table clothes.

8 comments:

Tina in CT said...

You're the next MARTHA! The first picture of them looks neat but looks like meringue and not a cake texture. Please send directions as Diane would love to make them. They are adorable.

CATHY said...

They look yummy.
Please send recipe, would love to make those for my grandkids sometime.

Lori said...

What are the snowmen made out of? They turned out really cute, but look like so much work. I think your friend got the easier job for sure with the mini cornbread muffins.

Rachael said...

Oh, I KNEW there was something I was forgetting! I was supposed to fax you that recipe! Oh well, your snowmen are darling, so looks like you did just fine without me.

Natalie said...

what cute cupcakes. I cant believe you made it all from scratch, even the marchmallows!

Tina in CT said...

Oh, the snowman bodies were homemade marshmellows. That's why they looked different than a cake texture. What is the hat and how did you form it? How did you get the orange frosting to stick out like a carrot nose?

Cecelia said...

The entire snowmen are made out of royal icing. It's not marshmellows. Royal icing dries hard. It's made with egg whites, powdered sugar and cream of tartar. Using cake decorating tips to make the various parts. The nose was the easiest!

Tina in CT said...

OHHHHHHH. Thanks for the explanation. I've never made that icing but then, I'm not overly fond of baking.