Friday, June 6, 2008

This and That

This has been a very busy week. We celebrated Lisa and Matthew's birthday on Wednesday evening. Ryan asked me to make a carrot cake and decorate it with roses. I don't usually decorate cakes, because it takes too long, makes a big mess, and then looks like a home decorated cake. And, that's exactly what happened. But, the cake sure tasted good. Ryan asked Bob to make homemade maple walnut ice cream and it turned out perfect and delicious. We had the party at Ryan and Lisa's house, but had to have it outside because Lisa is trying to pack and things are in a little disarray inside.


Here's the carrot cake and the very pitiful try at decorating.


Matthew's favorite gift was his new bicycle that his mom and dad gave him.



Thursday evening we went to the church school's program. It was so sweet to see Johnny (Lisa's little brother) holding himself up by pushing with his arms on the wheelchair armrests when the choir sang. He didn't want to be the only child sitting down. You could tell that it was very difficult for him to do this, but he did it everytime the choir sang and he knew the words to every song. He loves going to school. This is the first year he has been in school. He had been home-schooled.



Bob brought Ryan, Jr. and Matthew home on Thursday evening so they could help him mow the lawn and work in the garden on Friday.





Ryan did all the mowing with the tractor in the fields and around the garden. He is quite mechanically minded, knows how to drive the tractor, and he sure did a great job. A few years ago, Bob tried to teach me how to drive that tractor and it is way too complicated for me. The weather here is very miserable, though. We had ninety degree temperatures today with high humidity. I am so thankful that we have air conditioning in the house. I stayed cool and comfortable!


Bob brought a load of stuff from Ryan and Lisa's house that we will be storing at our house until they decide what to do with it. The boys helped grandpa unload the truck.



As you can tell, our garden is doing pretty well, but there are plenty of weeds. Matthew and grandpa worked about six hours in the garden pulling weeds. It looks much better now. I should have taken a picture after the weeds were pulled.



Lola is all wet and dirty. She looks pathetic and doesn't even know it. She is so sweet. She loves to run around in the weeds. That's why she is all wet and muddy. We had a big thunderstorm last night so everything is muddy and wet (just like Lola).



Matthew mowed the lawn around the house. There is so much humidity in the air I couldn't get a clear picture.

My peonies are blooming!

We were invited over to our friends, Bub and Pat, for dinner tonight and she asked me to make mashed potato buns, so I spent part of the day making them. I also made pecan rolls for Bob and the boys. It was a busy day but very productive. We're all very tired, so I'll close for now.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Johny looks so sweet! I can tell he is loving his school. How is James doing?

Looks like you all had a very busy day.

I heard about those crazy thunderstorms you guy's were getting on your side of town. It was all over the news. I guess a few houses caught on fire because of lightning. Thunderstorms scare me. Nothing like the ones in TX though. Remembe3r how big the lightning was?

Glad the boys were there to help get caught up on the outside stuff with Bob.

Tina in CT said...

We had several rainy days this week but it was cool and you needed a sweater or sweatshirt. Tomorrow it is turning very hot and humid for at least 3 days with temps around 95. I'll be inside in the central A/C.

Mashed potato buns. Wow, they sound good! May I put in a request for when we come to visit in Sept?

I think you did a beautiful job on the carrot birthday cake. I could not do as well.

Liesel is running around with her toys as I type.

Tina in CT said...

Beautiful peony!

Tina in CT said...

When do Lisa, Ryan and the kids move in? They have lots of helping hands for their move. Glad that they found a buyer for their house and hope they are lucky finding another house for themselves. It's a buyer's market which will be in their favor.

Julie said...

Love the Peony. And your cake is beautiful also. A lot of love shows in that cake. How about the recipe for mashed potato buns? What could be better than potatoes and bread?

Dore' said...

That cake looks as lovely as any sheet cakes I've seen anywhere. I just wish I could have a piece. It looks Yummy! I'm with Julie. The recipe for the mashed potato buns would be real nice.

I love your peonies. I may have to look into gettins some of those myself. I'll have to start working on that when we get back into the house. Looks like it will be in July. Our poor yard is all dead and gone, front and back. They had the water turned off most of the time since the fire.