Thursday, November 15, 2007

No School!

The telephone was ringing at 6:00 a.m. this morning. I jumped out of bed and stumbled over Calvin who was sleeping in the floor next to Kristen's bed, and continued down the stairs in the dark and discovered several items I had left on the stairs to take up the night before, but forgot. By the time I made it to the phone it had stopped ringing and the message had finished too. I played the message, and the person said there would be no school today because of no electricity at the school. This was great news!! I could go back to sleep and make up for those two hours I lost trying to fix my blog the night before. I quickly fell asleep only to be woken again by the telephone at 6:30 a.m. I repeated the same steps I had made the first time the telephone rang and played the message which was from Jack and Katya's teacher letting me know that the school was closed today because there was no electricity. I went back to bed but couldn't fall back asleep so I got up and came downstairs, started the fire in the fireplace (I just had to flip a switch - I love starting a fire like that) and had some time to relax and read before the house would soon be jumping with four lively little angels. Before the kids woke up I received two more calls to let me know that there would be no school today one from Bonnie and one from Francie. Thank you both for calling. Although I knew there was no school, I appreciate your thoughtfulness in thinking to give me a call.


Kristen and Katya worked together on Kristen's Russian alphabet. They were pretty excited that there was no school today.



The cat and the bunny were so cute looking at each other.



Carl was not happy being outside in the rain. We all took our places, Katya and Ben were by the patio door, Kristen was blocking the space between the kitchen table and the entry table, and I was by the garage door then Katya opened the patio door , I opened the garage door, and Carl and Calvin came running in and went right to the garage to dry off before being allowed back in the house.



The kids were having fun playing with all the fabric scraps their mom had given to them.


Then the kids wanted to read last nights blog.



All the children helped to feed and water "Lucky" the bunny this morning.


Then it was time for four hungry little children to have breakfast. I made scrambled eggs, biscuits and little links. The kids ate everything I had made and I had to made four more scrambled eggs before they were all full. Katya asked the blessing on the food. They are taking turns praying before each meal and she reminded me that it was her turn to say the blessing this morning. Her prayer was so sweet. She included her mom and dad and other family members as well as the food.




Here are four little piggies acting silly after breakfast.


Ben helped take out the garbage after breakfast.


Jack cleaned the kitchen table.



Ben swept the floor.

Ben wanted me to take a picture of all the dirt he sweep up from the floor.


Jack wanted a picture taken of his clean table. He not only washed it, he dried it too!

Kristen wanted to learn how to knit so she brought her yarn and knitting needles that I had bought for her the last time I came to visit and we spent some time knitting a very small scarf for her sock monkey.



Calvin follows me everywhere. If I'm in the kitchen cooking, Calvin is there. If I'm in the living room, he's there, dining room, bedroom, he's there. I never realized this about Calvin in the past.

The kids had some sewing projects they wanted me to help them with.


Kristen and Katya making a snake.


Jack made a two headed snake. I was the official button eye "sewer".


Ben wanted a button sewed on a piece of blanket scrap.



Katya liked the snake she designed.


Kristen made a poncho for her sock monkey.

Ben is quite pleased with his snake.

We took a break from our snake making for a little lunch.



After lunch, Ben took a nap, Kristen practiced the piano, and Katya and Jack cleaned their rooms and then played with the ever popular hand-made snakes.


While the kids played downstairs and Ben was taking a nap, I finished the baby blanket.

This was supper. Belgium waffles with peach topping and whipped cream. Yum!
Worship, prayer time and off to bed. The kids went right to bed and were excited to receive their little surprise.

It was a really fun day. The kids were perfect!!

4 comments:

Lori said...

And to think you stressed out last night gettting Kristen's homework done and Jack and Katya ready for thier spelling test.
Too bad I have to work today or I'd come over and visit.

Rachael said...

It's as if we're right there with you with that detailed play-by-play!

Glad the kids are being so good for you. They always are good for their grandma. Their mom and dad...now that might be a different story! :)

Anonymous said...

mom, only YOU could take 4 kids to the grocery store and not have to admit yourself afterwards.

Anonymous said...

Hi Momma,

I just read your blog and don't see any pics with more snow. Guess I need to wait a while to see them. Well, today I started dieting, I need to get back into my jeans. I was worried that Bob wouldn't recognize Dore' and I when we got off of the plane. Thankfully he did.