Saturday, November 17, 2007

Happy Birthday Rachael

I have been so busy entertaining four little angels that I haven't had time to post my happy birthday wish for my oldest daughter, Rachael. With all the children in bed the house is quiet and with tomorrow being Sunday, I can sleep in a little (I hope). It is so hard to pick out just a few pictures to share, so after spending several hours going through containers of pictures I carted from New York to Michigan just for this project, I finally have the selection ready with a little critiquing from Francie and Lori. And now a little history . . .

Not knowing if we would be having a boy or a girl, your dad and I spent hours talking about what our new baby's name would be. I wish I could remember some of the maybe's, but none of them are coming to my mind except the name Anastatia that your grandma Annie wanted us to consider. I do remember that a boy's name was never picked-out. I really liked the name Rachael. Your great-grandmother's name was Rachael and she was so excited to hear that her first great-grandchild had been named after her. She was a small lady, very sweet and loving who served the Lord and attended church regularly.

Your arrival on November 14, 1972 was a little bit of a surprise to both the doctor and us because your due date was December 15. However, with you weighing in at 8 lbs. 11 oz., we all knew it was a miscalculation on our part. You were such a beautiful baby. I couldn't believe you were mine. And I had no idea what to do with a baby. I was thankful to have my mother and grandmother living close by. My grandmother (your great-grandmother) would come over and hold and rock you for hours. If she was around you were always on her lap. And, you were very happy and content when you were being held.

You are a blessing to me and I'm so very proud of you. You told me before you had even started school that you were going to be a doctor when you grew up. I would make other suggestions, "how about being a nurse?" "No", was your reply. "How about a teacher?" "No", was your reply again. And on, and on. You knew what you wanted to be and you never changed your mind, or let anything get in your way of accomplishing your goal.

I wish I was good with putting what I want to say in words, but I'm not, so I'll just keep it simple and say you have made me so very proud and I thank the Lord for your love and friendship.
You teethed on green onions that your grandpa Chuck grew in his garden. You were his pride and joy and he made sure I had a fresh supply for you. You would throw a fit when I would have to take it away from you because it was falling apart. I would have to let you have the new onion in your other hand before I could take the "gummed" onion away. You would have tears running down your little cheeks, but you would not give up your onion.

Doesn't this picture make you smile? That's what you did to me when I would come into your bedroom to take you out of your bed. You were such a happy little girl. I made the curtains you see hanging and your bed is the bed I used when I was a baby.

This is your first birthday. Your grandma Nan bought you this yellow high-chair for your birthday. I made you an angel food cake with fluffy strawberry icing. I wanted an icing that you could play in and get all over your face. My mission was accomplished.


You enjoyed playing outside and this plastic play barn you toted around almost everywhere you went. You insisted that you wear the red fireman's hat whenever you played with the barn.



You always had a love for animals. These calves were on the farm in Muskogee. I made you the little gray plaid poncho with the white crocheted edging and fringe.

Here you are at the age of four. I made the little sailor outfit you are wearing.



Never too young to begin talking on the phone. Notice the pink spongy curlers that were used every Friday night.


You and your little sister, Lori. You two look so much alike!


This picture was taken in our home in Matteson, Illinois. I believe you were in the ninth grade. Francie and Natalie (front row- left to right); Lori and Shannon (middle row - left to right); Rachael and Ryan (back row-left to right).



The famous tree swing. All of you children enjoyed playing on this swing. This picture was taken at our home in Oklahoma City. I think we all have fond memories of living in this house. At least I have lots of children's stories I tell from happenings here.


This is one of DeAnn's horses that you rode when we went to visit them in Virginia. Is this the one that bucked you off?


This is Charlie, the Angora loped-ear bunny that you had for many many years. In fact you took it with you to college. You would put a collar on it and hook a leash and take it for walks.
Grandpa Chuck sure enjoyed having all his grandkids come to the lake house. He had a garden there and would always make fried okra, homemade biscuits, homemade macaroni and cheese and fried corn (fresh from the garden of course). Leftovers were unheard of.

When Rachael brought Derrick home for the family to meet, she also took him on a tour of the area. This dam is where Rachael, Ryan, Shannon, and Lori would go and slide down. Derrick was not impressed. I'm glad someone in this picture has common sense.



Rachael graduated from college and one week later married Derrick and one week later they left for Loma Linda, California, where Rachael attended medical school.



I couldn't believe that Rachael graduated from medical school on time with her class and while attending medical school, she had a little baby girl. In this picture you see Rachael at her graduation with her little 18 month old daughter.


Mommy Rachael with newborn baby Kristen.


Rachael shows Kristen her new baby brother, Jack.

Rachael with Kristen and Jack.

Another new little baby boy joins the family. Baby Ben.


This past April Rachael and Derrick adopted this beautiful little girl from Russia.

I hope your time in the Bahamas was enjoyable. And that you had time to relax and celebrate your birthday. Thank you for entrusting your children to my care. The kids were very good. I loved being able to spoil them.

To my beautiful daughter, Rachael, I love you and I pray that God will bless you with another good year and many more "Happy Birthdays!"

Love,

Mom

6 comments:

Lori said...

Mom, You must have been up late working on this because I checked your blog before I went to bed at midnight and you still hadn't published it.
But it turned out very nice, I like all the picture, I didn't even notice Rachael was holding an onion in that picture! She told me on the phone yesterday not to let you put any pictures on there that are embarrassing, I think she will like all of them.
The pictures of all her babies in the hospital are so sweet.

Rachael said...

You did a good job, Mom. Love all the pictures. (And thanks for not putting any unflattering ones on!)

I'm thinking that while you're here, I should try to copy some of your pictures -- I have maybe 2 pictures of me growing up.

Some of those pictures I had to look closely and double-check -- make sure they weren't Lori!

Shannon said...

It seemed like a momoir of my life as I read about Rachael. I guess it is because she was just ALWAYS there. I think she had her mind on being a Dr for her whole life. At least I remember hearing it before I could even count to one hundred.

That high chair got many years of use too. Didn't we ALL use it?

Rachael, if Lori hadn't been in one of the pictures with you I would have never known it was you. And, I cant believe how much KK resembles you. I think Hannah looks alot like you too.

Happy belated Birthday. I love you.

MoscowMom said...

Loved the pictures and anecdotes. I had the same farm as a kid (Fisher Price) and my kids still play with it when at Grandma's...

Noticed you wearing the "Hard Rock" sweatshirt, Rachael, and had to smile :-)

A good friend from college also went to med school at Loma Linda and loved it. Chris's law school also had the tradition of having graduates walk with their kids when they got their diplomas. (This leads Katya to sometimes profess, when I say she's being too argumentative, "Well, I *DID* graduate from law school...!"

Happy Birthday!!!!

Francie said...

Very sweet, mom...
but, you know, Natalie and I also went down that dam slide! A little scary, but we did!
I think I was about Kristen's age, now or close to it!
Either way, you picked out some cute pictures! I want to see what you have of me!

Anonymous said...

I am still not real sure how this all works but it is fun looking at your pictures. I hope you get this comment. It is friday, I can't believe that we were just there on Monday. All we are getting her is rain...i bet you have lot's of snow by now. I sure miss you guys! We had such a great time. I love looking at the Amish pics. Hope you have a great Sabbath.
Love, Sissy