Saturday, November 3, 2007

I Can't Believe I Did This!

You aren't going to believe what I did this past Friday. I'll let the pictures tell the story with a few captions to help you understand why I can't believe I did this!

These shirts have just been moved from the ironing drawer in the bottom of the armoire in our bedroom to one of the guest beds. I couldn't get another piece of clothing in this drawer, so I decided it was time to iron. Poor Bob, when we went to Rochester for two weeks he had to pack un-ironed shirts and I took the ironing board and iron so I could iron as needed. That way the shirts didn't get wrinkled during the trip!





I decided to time myself to see how long it took to iron one shirt. It takes about 2 1/2 minutes to iron one long-sleeved shirt.





Here are all the shirts I ironed hanging in Bob's closet. He isn't going to know what to do with more than one ironed shirt at a time. Notice the unfinished wood around the closet. None of the bedrooms in this old house have closets, so Bob made two small closets in our bedroom (one for him and one for me), but he hasn't painted the woodwork or installed the doors. He tells me that this will be one of his winter projects after Christmas this year.

What I really wanted to do was work on this special little baby blanket that I'm making for my new little grandson that is to arrive December 5, 2007. I hope to finish it before I leave for Michigan next week.










I also had to do laundry today. I don't mind doing the laundry, but I don't like going to the dungeon to do it. This is a picture at the top of the stairs leading to the dungeon. When we moved into the house two years ago, Bob found about 15 snakes in this basement. They weren't little ones either and they weren't dead. He took them to the barns so they could help patrol the rodent population out there.






This is where the old original well is. It's just a deep dark brick-lined hole with water in it. This summer the water level went way down due to the dry weather here. We have these boards over it, so we don't fall into it.










The basement level of this old house has three thicknesses of bricks. I think the snakes are coming in through holes between the rocks where the mortar has fallen out. Last Thursday when I came home from work, I could tell that Punkin had done something naughty by the way she was acting, but I didn't know what. When Bob got home later that evening, I asked him what Punkin did to get in trouble. He told me she had killed a snake by the foundation of the house. Punkin knows she isn't suppose to kill snakes. She usually barks a certain bark and Bob will catch the snake and the two of them will walk to the barn and turn the snake lose. This time, Punkin handled the situation all by herself.



Then I went to get my haircut. This is my hairstylist, Chelsey. She's been cutting my hair for about six months now. I never know what I want, but she's a good mind reader, because I always leave liking the new cut.








Then I stopped at Staples to pick-up a notebook to make a recipe book for my friend in California, Dore, whose house burned while they were on vacation and she lost all of her family recipes. So I'm going to share my favorite family recipes with her. Cathy and Dore are planning to come and visit me the first weekend in December! I'm so excited!








This is the part I can't believe I did on Friday! I also had to stop by Walmart to pick-up a few items, and wouldn't you know it, the Halloween candy was 50 percent off!! I tried to keep walking past the aisle, but then I reasoned with myself that I could buy some of this candy and put it away to use to decorate gingerbread houses when the grandchildren come for Christmas. This was not a good idea. I managed to try a few pieces, but ended up eating more than I should have. So, I went and walked on the treadmill to compensate the extra calories. It was definitely not worth it!

6 comments:

Francie said...

Mom, I made Lori's baby a blanket too! You'll have to see it and tell me what you think! I was so excited, until I realized that each spool (or whatever they are called) was $6 each! I used 10 of them!!!
Needless to say, I probably won't use that kind of yarn very often...

Lori said...

I wish I could comment along the way as I read, your posts have so many topics, so I will try to remember my thoughts on each subject as I was reading through.
Shirts- All I could think was how I used to have to iron Steve's work shirts all the time when I was a kid and I HATED IT! Now I take Todd's shirts to the cleaners, he doesn't wear them that often and it's so worth it.
Baby Blanket- Looks super cute, I can't wait to get it! Francie crocheted me a blanket too and it's so nice. I also got an adorable knitted sweater at my shower. Can't wait to show you all my gifts.
Snakes- Gross, there is no way I'd go in that dungeon of a basement! I have to agree with Punkin, snakes that approach the house need to die.
Dore- Sorry to hear about her house, but what do you mean you have company coming to visit the first weekend in Dec.??? If my baby comes early you'll miss out!
Candy- I have no room to talk, I have been eating bad for 9 months. One day off the wagon wont do too much damage. Put the candy in the freezer until christmas so you wont be tempted.

Lori said...

Francie the money spent was so worth it, the blanket is so soft, I love it.

Shannon said...

You should never buy candy that you like. Especially if it still tastes good when you freeze it! Remeber how you farmed just about all of us babies on M&Ms? Then, so you would have a few minutes to confirm whe craving, you would freeze them in hopes of changing your mind before they thawed out? What was Lori thinking? Freeze them? M&Ms taste good frozen...Woo would have thought!

Does Bob still mark the snakes with a Sharpe marker to make sure the same snakes arn't the ones comming back inside?

Like Lori, I take Andy's shirts to the cleaners: or he irons his own. I'm not a brat about it, and I do do it every-now-and-again, but I still resent ironing from when I was younger and boycot the act whenever possible.

Next to you and Rachael, I feel pretty lazy sometimes with all the stuff you guys can do in one day.

Cecelia said...

Lori,

Dore and Cathy are coming the weekend that we get home from Thanksgiving. I can't come back to Michigan until the following weekend. You need to be considerate and have my new grandson when I can come! O.K.?

Lori said...

DeAnn says she could try to make things happen while your here at thanksgiving, but Rachael says to wait and let things happen when they're supposed to.
But it would be fun if I had him by thanksgiving since you and Bob will be here and Shannon and Andy.
by the way, I like your haircut.