Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Spring?

Today was an absolutely beautiful spring day with temperatures in the 60's. Bob's sap collecting has come to an end because of the warm weather. He collected 798 gallons of sap so we'll have plenty of maple syrup for ourselves and to share with friends and family. Today when I got home from work, Bob was out in the garden. Todd shared some of his secrets to getting a garden started early and Bob decided to give it a try. Planting small plants in what Todd calls, tunnels. They're protected from an unexpected frost

As I walked around the yard I discovered that the daffodils are coming up in the yard and not just by the foundation of the house.

I love daffodils and tulips.
Bob pulled carrots from the garden and filled this five gallon bucket.

It's so exciting watching the yard wake-up. We also enjoy watching the birds begin making their nests. Today Bob saw a bluebird on top of one of our bluebird houses. We have two bee hives and the bees are out buzzing around too.


7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

What did Bob plant under the tunnel cover? I bet he's anxious to get the garden going. I did not realize that the carrots would last in the ground all through the winter. Learn something new every day. You got a lot of maple sap which is fantastic to be enjoyed all year.

My crocus are in bloom along with the snowdrops. I have one daffodill in bloom (by the cement steps). I wish we'd seen a bluebird when we were there over the weekend.

Liesel is in here playing with the rawhide strip you sent home with her.

She is constantly after my fleece slippers (while on my feet) and my slacks and flannel lounge pants (while on my legs).

I know spring is here as I'm hanging out laundry. I'm about ready to hang out towels which I'll get in tomorrow night after work.

CATHY said...

We are finished with daffodils and tulips here. In fact, it has been a little to cool for me, the weather I mean.
My wisteria tree is going crazy, so beautiful. Remember when we bought them at the nursery in Lockford? Did you know that nursery closed and is now a rock and garden place.
Dore' senior is back in the hospital.

Natalie said...

those are not very attractive carrots, but I bet they taste pretty good cooked. Is he growing tomatoes?

Lori said...

Mom, Todd says from the looks of it Bob didn't do it right. He was supposed to put the clear plastic on both sides of the black, and then you pull it up over the rings and use clothes pins to keep it shut and that creates the tunnels.

If Bob has any questions just give us a call, I'm sure Todd would be more than happy to help.

Rachael said...

What are you going to do with all those carrots?

Next project (once you get the tunnels right, sounds like) is an irrigation system! This could turn into a pretty sophisticated project.

Tina in CT said...

Lots of glazed carrots and carrot, walnut, raisin salad?

Tina in CT said...

Pretty heading and background!