Friday, April 25, 2008

Appendix - Out!

Thursday morning I was awaken to a telephone call. Lisa called to let me know that Shannon had spent the night at the emergency room with Madeline and the test results confirmed that Madeline needed immediate surgery to remove her appendix. I immediately jumped out of bed threw on my clothes and left, hoping to make it to the hospital before she was taken in to surgery. Unfortunately, I was just a few minutes late, but waited with Lisa and Shannon in the waiting room. Prayers were said for this precious little girl that was afraid and crying out for help. Lisa and Shannon waiting while Madeline is in surgery.
Madeline has just come out of surgery and recovery and being moved to a hospital room.
Shannon comforts Madeline.
Madeline wanted to be held.
Her first trip to the bathroom after the surgery.
The doctor wanted Madeline up and walking in the afternoon. She did really well, but she held her heart pillow on the incision and walked bent over a little.
Madeline had lots of visitors. This is her school teacher and two of her classmates. All the students made cards and sent little gifts. Madeline had three of her neighbors come to visit, several church friends, the teacher's aid, the bus driver sent a card and gift, her physical therapist, and lots of friends and family.
This morning, the nurse let Madeline help her take out the IV. She was a brave little girl.

Madeline can only have clear liquids and jello. On Saturday she can include ice cream, pudding, and apple sauce. On Sunday, she can have soft food. She just told me that she is really hungry. I feel so sorry for her. I've got to go and make her some jello for later this evening.

Madeline got to go home after lunch today. I brought her home to my house and Shannon will come this evening after she finishes her classes.

God answered our prayers. Madeline is doing great. Still a little sore, but doing really well.

5 comments:

Lori said...

I'm so glad everything went well and Madeline is home with Grandma recooperating. And what a smart mommy for suspecting Appendicitis.

Rachael said...

Poor Maddie Paige. I ordered her the Madeline in Paris book series so she can read about another Madeline that got her appendix out! But, unfortuately, I forgot to enter Shannon's address and it's being shipped here!! I'll have to send it home with you next weekend, or maybe I'll just mail it to Shannon.

Tina in CT said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Madeline. What a shocker when I just read your blog.

I am picturing her right now in either the pink bedroom on the first floor or next to your room in the bedroom that I used.

So happy that all went well. It's good that Shannon is training to be a nurse as it sure came in handy in a way she had not imagined.

Very convenient that today is your day off from the office so Shannon could be in school and Madeline could be resting (and well taken care of) by her grandma and grandpa.

Please give Madeline my well wishes and love.

Natalie said...

oh my poor little sweet charlie... I hope she feels better! (When I lived by Madeline, I always said..."Cheer up Charlie" to her) so that was her nick name when she was sad.

It won't be long said...

How frightening and painful for Madeline. I'm glad she came through well. Thank the Lord for available healthcare, too.