Monday, April 14, 2008

Moving

Have you ever moved? I remember moving several times. Three of the moves we had the luxury to have a moving company come in and pack, load, and unload. The other moves were not as convenient. Packing and moving a home with six children running all around was an interesting experience for the movers, I'm quite sure. I remember one hot and humid summer in August when we were moving from Oklahoma City to Chicago. We turned the air conditioning off since the doors were propped open while they moved furniture and boxes to the truck. Natalie was just three years old and was busy playing with the water-hose. She was keeping everyone cool that came within water spraying distance. The movers kept coming into the kitchen from the garage asking me what was to go and what was not to go. They just didn't see the treasures in the garage that I did. I told them many times, everything goes. Still they would come in and ask, "Does that pile of bicycle parts go?" Of course. You never know when the kids will need spare parts. Finally, I was exasperated and told them, "Everything goes that is in the garage!" So, they loaded everything in the garage into the moving van. A few weeks after our arrival in Chicago, the boxes from our move, labeled garage, were still in the garage unopened. But, there was something that smelled really bad in the garage and we couldn't figure out what it could be. Then we started opening the boxes and surprise!!! They had packed our garbage that was on the side of one of the walls in the garage in Oklahoma City. I had told them to pack everything, I just didn't think they would pack garbage.

Anyway, the point to my blog today is that Lisa's parents have moved. Or, I should say are still moving. It's not just a simple houseful either. It's a whole dairy farm, including the cows! The cows are scheduled to be moved tomorrow right after they have been milked. The cows have to be milked twice a day without fail.

Yesterday, just as I had started my commute home, Lisa called asking me if I could come and pick-up the girls at her parents new farm? When I got home I changed my cloths and gave Lisa a call to find out if they had had dinner yet. They hadn't. So I told them I would run by and pick up supper for them and come over to pick up the girls. Some of the help they thought would be there to help unload the semi, weren't going to be able to come, so I gave my cousin, Tony, a quick call to see if he would run over and help them out. He was home and went right over to help. He only lives about a mile from the farm. When I arrived there were kids running everywhere. Lisa's sister and her husband were there with there two children. Lisa and Ryan were there with their four kids, and Lisa's parents have two little boys of their own there. Everyone was busy unloading vehicles, trucks, and the semi. That is except for the children. They were having a grand time playing in the barn with the new kitties they found. The former owners left all the cats and kittens. The girls had spent most of their day playing in the barn and they looked like little barn children. Smudges of dirt on their sweet little faces, dirty little hands, muddy "people boots" and lots of excitement and hugs and kisses for grandma!! I loaded up Madeline, Hannah, and Gracie in the backseat of my car and headed for home.

As soon as we walked in the house I started running the bath water and added Mr. Bubble. They needed a little soaking, so all three got in at the same time. They had a great time splashing and it was amazing that all that dirt soaked right off!! They were squeaky clean, again!!!

Lisa had sent home a basket of clothes, but there were limited clothes for the girls. Most of the clothes were for the boys and Ryan and Lisa. I had some extra diapers in one of the dressers in the little girls room, so I put one on Gracie. I found a t-shirt in the basket of clothes Lisa had sent, so I put that on her, but her little legs were cold. I found a pair of white thick knee socks in my sock drawer, so I put them on Grace. The heel was at Gracie's knee and the top of the sock came to top of her thigh. Perfect! Hannah and Madeline had equally designing night clothes, but all were happy to go to bed. Ryan, Lisa, and the boys arrived soon after the girls were put to bed, and the boys were so tired, they didn't even take a shower, they just climbed into their beds dirt and all.

I know it was a busy and stressful day for everyone that helped with the move, but I had a great time with the girls and it was so much fun watching the children play with the kitties in the barn. The kitties are really cute.
It's a big old farm house.
Gracie waiting for me to put her in the car.

Lisa's sister's little girl and one of the barn kitties.

Madeline looking for more kitties.


Lisa's dad estimated that there was 9 tons of household belongings on the semi. They're fortunate they have their own semi and that Lisa's dad is licensed to drive it.

Playing in the barn with the kitties.

Madeline.

Little Ryan is on the left and Ryan is on the right. I think little Ryan is catching up on height with his dad.


This is Lisa's little brother, Johnny. He is such a sweet little boy. He likes the new farm.


Lots of helpers.


5 comments:

Rachael said...

Mom, that is only the tip of the iceberg with the moving stories. You could have gone a lot of directions with that intro!

When I saw your title, I was wondering WHO was moving. It would not shock me for you to make a big announcement on the blog instead of the phone! ;>

I just talked to Ryan though, so I knew it wasn't him, and I didn't figure YOU would be moving...

Francie said...

I remember you telling that garbage story since I was a kid! I still laugh at it...
I'm just glad I didn't have to help them move! I'm still worn out!
Lori strategically reminded me that I was the only one that helped her and Todd move from their first house to their current one, but only after I had finished moving. Oh, well.

Tina in CT said...

How nice that everyone was there to pitch in and help today. I'm sure they were very appreciative of your bringing supper over when you went to get the girls. The girls must have had a ball all in the tub and with their makeshift night clothes. Who needs a regular nightgown or pajamas when there are all sorts of things at Grandma and Grandpa's?

The farm house sure is BIG!

So nice that more of the family is close by.

I've heard of movers packing garbage but I was lucky that it did not happen to me on our move from CA back East.

I just let out an "AHHHHHHHH" as Liesel tried to climb up my legs. She is like a kitten.

Lori said...

I HATE Moving! I'm so glad I was too far away to help.
I hope I never have to move again. And if I do, it better be for a really great house.

The semi makes it nice, but what else do they haul in that semi? I hope all their stuff doesn't stink.

That will be so nice having them close by, maybe you'll get to see Ryan and Lisa on all the holidays now that both sets of parents are in the same area.

It won't be long said...

Looks like a wonderful place for children to grow up. I would have loved to give my own children the farm experience.