Sunday, March 14, 2010

Finally . . .

It's been seventeen years since I started this quilt in a day project! I had signed up for a quilting class and made this log cabin cover project called a quilt in a day. My next class was on hand quilting so I decided to hand quilt the log cabin quilt in a day project that I had started. As you can tell, the colors of the quilt are outdated now, but it took me so long and was so much work I'm going to use it on my bed no matter if the colors are from the 90's. I don't think Bob is too excited about all the pink in this quilt, but he's a good sport and has let me use it anyway. He probably wishes it was still packed away in that clear tub that we toted around all these years - at least in the tote it was out of sight!


A few weeks ago, Bob started caning a chair he found in the barn. The directions indicated that re-caning a chair was a great weekend project. I had my doubts about "weekend project" after my 17 year quilt in a day project. But, the re-caning project only took two weekends and the chair looks great!

Bob enjoyed the project so much, he found another chair (one that we had hauled from California) that needed to be recaned and completed it in no time!


Bob said that the square seat was easier to cane than the round seat.

I'm thankful that Bob's caning project didn't take as long as my quilt project! Now if I could just finish the rest of my many unfinished projects.


7 comments:

Annie said...

Hm...I wish we were neighbors! I have a chair downstairs that needs caning!

And, your quilt gives me hope for the applique quilted pillows I started! (Odd, they are pink and blue, too!)

Dore' said...

The quilt is beautiful and just think.. it's practically an antique! The chairs look really well done. You and Bob make a great team. But then.. I already knew that. (;

Tina in CT said...

Quilt is beautiful and it's only half pink. I don't think the colors are dated and pink and blue are always in vogue.

Love the caning and chairs. I those type of chairs and have 3 Lincoln rockers.

Tina in CT said...

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. I also wished we lived closer to do things together.

Rachael said...

It looks great, Mom. It does remind me of our house in Pennsylvania though. Country blue and dusty rose!

CATHY said...

The projects look great. It does feel good to finally finish something. Although it didn't take me quite as long, but, remember the quilt we both started, that one took me 5 years.
Oh yeah, I love the colors....blue and pink....:)

Natalie said...

17 years mom? That's terrible! Especially since it was a "quilt in a day"! That's funny. At least you finished it, even if it was so long ago you started it. Bob's chair looks great.