Monday, February 22, 2010

The Surprise Party

Yesterday Shannon, Jeff, and Madeline came over and brought me a birthday present and visited for a while. Bob had my antique clock repaired and gave that to me for my birthday present. I thought I'd had a great birthday - even though I celebrated a day early.

Today, my birthday, I went to work as usual, had a stressful day as usual, and returned home expecting to spend the evening alone (Bob is usually gone in the evening). However, that wasn't the case. When I arrived home, it looked like every light was on in the house and there were two cars in the driveway. It was a party! Bob had planned this party two weeks ago and invited Ryan, Lisa, and the kids; Shannon, Jeff, and Madeline; and Tony and Donna. He must have been very busy all day because the dinner was delicious and the table looked beautiful! Bob made home made dinner rolls, mashed potato casserole, corn, salad, and beets. For dessert he made lemon merigue pie and angel food cake (my favorite) without icing! It was a wonderful evening with presents too! Ryan had taken an old picture of my grandfather several months ago (I had actually forgotten he had taken it) and had it restored and framed. I just loved it. Ryan actually looks like my grandfather did when he was in his 30's. I received many wonderful gifts, cards, phone calls, e-mails and notes. This truly was a special day for me. Thank you to each of my children and friends for filling this day with love and memories I'll always cherish.


5 comments:

Dore' said...

How exciting! I was going to call you on Sunday but knew Cathy was calling so I decided to wait and call on your birthday. I thought about it all day Monday. I decided not to call you at work.. I would wait till you got home. Watching the clock all day. Last time I checked it was 3 p.m. I decided to give you a little time to eat, etc. before calling. I got busy on a project and forgot about it until after 6 p.m. and was afraid you'd be asleep. :( I am glad you had a good birthday. I will call you sometime soon. I promise.

Shannon said...

I just love Birthdays!!!

Rachael said...

Sounds like you had a really nice birthday! That was very thoughtful of Bob, and I'm glad you didn't have to spend the evening all alone in that big house by yourself.

Which grandpa? Do you mean Great Grandpa (Orville)? I want to see the picture!

Natalie said...

that was so thoughtful of Bob to plan and then for everyone to come over! I'm glad your stressful day got better.

Tina in CT said...

What a wonderful birthday surprise and celebration. That was very special - all that Bob did.

What a nice gift - the restored picture of your grandfather.

Glad you had such a great b-day!