Thursday, February 18, 2010

New Project

Bob has been spending every spare minute cleaning out the barn so he can repair the floors in preparation for a big barn conference for his churches this coming June. The scrap metal pile is growing almost daily. Bob has found quite a few treasures and I enjoy my weekly tour of the barn to see the progress and take a look at the treasures. Bob has found several chairs. One chair didn't have any legs, but the rest of it was in good condition, so he thought he could nail it onto a log and use it for a stool. I agreed that would be a good idea as long as it stayed in the barn. A couple of the chairs were quite nice, but were in need of having the seats re-caned. We spent some time exploring information on-line which described the caning process as a good weekend project. So, Bob decided he'd give it a try. We ordered the supplies on Sunday and we found the package on the porch last night when we let the dogs inside to be put to bed for the night. So, tonight Bob started his project. Since he's starting on Thursday it'll give him a good head start and hopefully a completed chair by Sunday night.




I sure hope this project doesn't last as long as my quilt in a day project has lasted. I've managed to stretch my quilt project into 17 years. I guess we'll see who finishes their project first. I'll keep you posted.


5 comments:

Weavin' Wicker Woman said...

Good luck on your chair caning project there Bob, but just keep in mind that the round chair seats are by far, the most difficult. :~) So give yourself plenty of time and if you see a mistake, be sure to go back and correct it before going any farther! I know from what I speak--my first chair caning project over 35 years ago, was also a round Victorian walnut chair very similar to the one you are working on in the picture. For help, check out my "How to Cane a Chair Seat by Hand" article on eHow.com for step-by-step on a trapezoidal chair. I also have a series on caning a round seat in process on http://YouTube.com/thewickerwoman
Visit our Seatweaving & Chair Caning Forum for help and advice, too. http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/220033.html

The Wicker Woman-Cathryn Peters
http://www.WickerWoman.com/chair-caning

Natalie said...

thats so cool that Bob thought to fix that himself. I have no doubt he will do a good job, I just won't place my bets on him finishing it this weekend because I know how busy and fast his weekends go. I'll be interested in seeing the newly finished chair. Your computer is almost finished being repaired by the way, David said it should be much faster than it was. Just keep in mind its over 3 years old. So it will never be as fast as the one you just got. It's amazing how dated a computer is after only 3 years. Amazing and depressing.

Dore' said...

Interesting. I would love to see the chair on a stump when it is done. Sounds like a very clever idea.

Tina in CT said...

How's the chair caning coming along? That's great that Bob is tackling the job. I've heard it is very time consuming and it must be hard on the back.

I won't recognize the barn the next time I visit with all the time and work that he's putting into it.

CATHY said...

okay I blogged just for you!